Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green fruit looking things on my Yoshino Cherry tree???

Posted by thundersweet (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 08 at 12:17

We just planted a large Yoshino Cherry and I noticed these little green fruits all over. What are they? I thought Yoshino Cherry trees did not produce fruit.

Thanks,
Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green fruit looking things on my Yoshino Cherry tree???

Any chance of a photo?

o

Yoshino cherry have fruit...they are just not grown for their fruit.

o

Really?? Is it edible fruit? We had a huge one in our front yard growing up and I don't remember seeing this. Of course, that's not saying much.

Thanks,
Sandy

o

They are quite small and go from green to black. I believe they are edible...but as I said they are not grown for their fruit so I doubt they taste all that good?

o

Ours too has plenty of fruit...but by the time it is "ripe", the birds will finish it off. Not that it would be worth fighting them for pie filling...it's not that tasty!

o

If there's a heavy crop, you might be able to harvest some before they all get eaten by birds. Birds tend to start on the top branches and work downwards (they feel more secure from predators in the top of the tree), whereas people harvest the bottom branches.

Resin

o

Never noticed fruit before. Is it found on older trees which are dying? A sort of "last-ditch" attempt to carry on the species?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here