Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blocking tree roots from pipes

Posted by Posada none (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 12:49

Pool plumbing was installed about 3 ft. from a redwood that is about 6-in in diameter and 15 ft tall. Plumbing is about 16-in deep. Is it possible/recommended to dig a channel and place some sort of physical barrier to prevent roots from affecting the pipes? Or should we try to transplant the tree? Or should we resign ourselves to choosing between the tree and our pool? In reading Q/A about transplanting, I realize we may not have enough space to follow recommended directions, so an attempted transplant might be a bit too rough on the tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blocking tree roots from pipes

The pool plumbing is sealed and the Redwood's roots won't cause any problems. Tree roots will only enter sealed plumbing at pre-existing leak spots...if you have a pre-existing leak, your pool level would be dropping (for reasons other than evaporation).

The only concern would be heaving of the pipes as the tree grows but I expect the expected life span of the pool/plumbing will be well passed before that ever becomes an issue.

o
RE: Blocking tree roots from pipes

you dont mention what redwood you are talking about..

but you better hope you never have to dig to fix the pool works ... before its 100 feet tall ...

get rid of it ... it has too much potential in a small backyard.. with a pool ...

or i am misunderstanding the future and the siting ...

ken

o
re: and!!!!

if you can replace it for say.. 30 bucks.. i wouldn't waste a whole day of back breaking labor to move that large a tree.. that will probably die.. if you dont have experience doing it ...

its just not worth it ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here