Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this tree?

Posted by freedombelle2001 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 12:55

What is this pretty tree? We just moved this fall and now that it is spring I get to see what I have in my yard. This tree is so pretty with tons of pink flowers, sadly there is a giant pine type tree blocks my view, I have to walk around it to see my tree!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this tree?

honeysuckle ... the bush/shrub type ...

kind of a weed ... when not where you want it ...

i prefer the vining honeysuckle ...

ken

o

Lonicera tatarica - bush honeysuckle, as Ken said.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive Lonicera

o

I took a much better close up to ask if you are in still in opinion it is Honey Suckle....I only question it because I thought Honey Suckle has a scent and not petal shape flowers. Thanks again.

o

Yes it is non-native shrub honeysuckle that in some places is very invasive.

o

If you follow the link given you will see pictures of flowers like yours. Honeysuckles are Lonicera species and they come in bush and vine form, scented and unscented.

o

Thank you everyone, I know know for sure exactly what it is.
Although bad things are said about it it is the prettiest tree in my yard. And directly behind it on the other side of the fence in my neighbor`s yard are Lilac Trees, so seems they all are thriving very well near each other.

o

L. tatarica is considered invasive (in fact its sale may be outlawed in a few NE states), but in my observation it's not as bad as European buckthorn or autumn-olive or Amur honeysuckle. It doesn't seem to choke out native vegetation like those species do. It is naturalized and common in my area, including my back yard. I've removed many of the plants in my yard, but saved some that had nicer pink flowers and seemed to be more resistant to honeysuckle aphid. A few nurseries in my area still sell aphid-resistant cultivars like Arnold Red, Honeyrose, and Freedom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here