Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crape/crepe myrtle off-shoots can I dig up and replant?

Posted by redraif 8 GA (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 13:07

I have a mature crape/crepe myrtle... it was planted back in 2007... For the first time I have noticed it has a few babies coming up to the side of it. They are about 2 to 2 1/2 feet away from the main trunk. I almost cut them down and then I got to thinking that I might be able to transplant them.

Is it possible to dig them up and transplant them else where have them survive, w/o hurting the parent plant? I know they have grown up from the parent plant's root system. I'm afraid if I cut out too much root I will hurt the parent, too little and the baby won't make it.

Any advise?
I searched but did not get a definative enough answer to feel I could make this judgement call... Esp since everything said dig 2 feet from the base of the specimin to transplant... that would hurt the parent!

pics...

Photobucket

Photobucket

And the parent...

The shoots are on the left side of the tree on the border of the grass and bed... (they total bland in to the background!)

Photobucket

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crape/crepe myrtle off-shoots can I dig up and replant?

• Posted by IRuehl 8 Savannah GA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 16, 11 at 13:49

From what I have read they can take alot of abuse, even to the roots and bounce back. But as for how much to take. I dunno

o
RE: Crape myrtle off-shoots can I dig up and replant?

I'll bet you added that plastic border fairly recently. Either that or you cut a root while weeding. The baby formed from a severed root of the larger crape. the root system of the baby tree probably mainly radiates out away from the parent tree, so you can keep that in mind when you go to dig it up. I'd try to get at least a foot of root length (based on my guesstimate of size from the picture and assuming root structure similar to what I'd expect in this situation).

Crape myrtle root divisions are pretty easy to transplant. Just take your time and get a reasonable amount of root as you remove your baby crape. You may also want to be careful not to cut a lot more of the parent tree's roots in the process of digging up the baby. I'd give this job a rating of easy.

P.S. Be careful to get down deep enough to get a good piece of root. Depending on various factors, the bulk of the root system on some of these can be deeper than what you might expect from a seedling of similar size.

o
RE: Crape/crepe myrtle off-shoots can I dig up and replant?

My sister dug up a crape baby at her AR home and potted it up for me to try and grow in IL. It survived the potting, the drive to IL, the winter IN THE POT, and planting in IL. We moved the next spring. I saw some growth just get started on it when we moved....I wonder if it made it. Seemed quite hardy to go through that much. Just give it a go.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here