Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenjobber

small native tree decision

gardenjobber
10 years ago

I'm looking for opinions on a smallish native tree (or large shrub) to plant off the northeast corner of my two-story house. I want something that will get to at least 15' but preferably not exceed 30' or maybe 40', and preferably something that flowers. My zone 6a/ borderline 5b seems to come with a slightly colder microclimate, as things just bloom a little later here than in much of the surrounding area. Here are the ones I'm leaning toward:

Serviceberry/ amelanchier -- obvious choice, pretty much perfect, except that in my area I've seen too many get hit hard by cedar rust and defoliate as early as July, and I already have one
Redbud (cercis canadensis)-- hard to think of any drawbacks, but I haven't grown one
Dogwood (cornus florida) -- I have three planted three years ago that have so far chosen not to flower, hesitant to plant another, plus it might get a wee bit boring
Sourwood/ oxydendron-- very tempted by this one, but wary of possible lack of cold-hardiness and slow growth. any thoughts?
Sweetbay magnolia (magnolia virginiana) -- I think probably does not get big enough in my climate -- any experience?

I've toyed with going with a large shrub that I can prune to tree form (there's a path nearby), like a witch hazel which tends to grow large and in tree form all around here anyway. Any thoughts along those lines would be welcome, too. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Redbud grows wide and flat. A tree only 10ft tall will have branches that spread that much or more. Same with Cornus florida, the most common tree Dogwood. You might check on Chionanthus virginicus, Fringe Tree. It needs good drainage, but with minimal pruning you can keep the width to within your needs. It grows denser than a Redbud or a Dogwood and is native.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

A large shrub would be Viburnum recognitum.

Here is a link that might be useful: info here

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

Fringetree

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Hmmmm.... Just to be odd I will throw out the evergreen hollies. Even if you go main species if ya get more than 40 feet during my lifetime I would be impressed. I have two, probably mislabeled as the species, which are flowing heavily enough right now they are quite attractive. The berries on the one by the street are still there, the other's have been gone some time.

Crepe myrtle would probably be more perennial than even shrub like in zone 5.....

Just thinking

Crab apples looked good even in Denver not sure given your specifics.

• jimbobfeeny
    10 years ago

The Oxydendrum should do fine, if you go with a local seed source - They're supposed to be hardy to Zone 5, and I've seen one massive one in somebody's front yard just south of Lafayette, IN - This is a fairly cold, windswept area, as well.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    10 years ago

Is there a reason you are only considering deciduous trees?
    Lots of all season beauty with the many broadleaved evergreens (that flower) and colorful conifers out there!

• gardenjobber
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fringe tree came up twice -- do folks think it's better than the choices I name, or just another thing to consider? To be clear, I'm ok with a tree reaching 30-40 ft in both height and spread, which would take quite some time for both a dogwood and a redbud, no?

cearbhaill, I'm not limiting choices to deciduous, it's just that this is a spot not often seen during winter from inside or outside the house, so winter interest is not a primary factor. I'd definitely consider evergreens with good spring/ summer/ fall interest. The holly may be a good choice, too.

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

Franklin Tree (Franklinia alatamaha) is another option not mentioned....extinct in the wild so thats an interesting fact. Last known stand occured in Georgia but it does very well up north...was pushed south in the last ice age by glaciers and was unable to reestablish itself up north. It flowers in fall at the same time its leaves start to change color...which is unusual.

• jclay321
    10 years ago

I love the native redbud, especially when in bloom. The leaves are nice too in summer and then there is a good yellow fall color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redbud flanked by ostrich ferns

• calliope
    10 years ago

But they are not long-lived at all. We are about to underplant the one by our back door. This will be the third in less than thirty years.