Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Japanese Maple dead?

Posted by Janet5 Iowa (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 13:30

Should our little tree have leaves yet this spring? We planted it last year and it did well, but we had a really cold winter. I'm not sure if it's dead or just a late bloomer. It's not brittle, and, I'm not sure if you can see it from this picture, but there is some green at the bottom. Any advice/info you can give is appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Japanese Maple dead?

give it a few more weeks.. and see if it buds out...

i have a couple that look the same... i am trying real hard to be optimistic ... lol ...

if you have a warranty.. use it ...

ken

o

The green at the bottom looks like algae or lichen. Not a problem but unrelated to weather the tree is alive or not. If it's not brittle it sounds OK. Give it some more time.

o

After this winter I am issuing my own zone ratings for trees. Here in zone 6 with my -10ish lows this year I have some damage to my Japanese maples.

Best of luck to you. In about a month it should be obvious what is not rebudding. I'll have to remember June is not a great time to plant replacements.

o

It doesn't look promising. If June/July and no signs of life, yank it. Do wait though until then. You may have "advantageous buds" arise from where the green is at the base... that's what you're hoping for.

Dax

o

Buds should be present NOW, even if a bit too early to leaf out. JM buds are formed in fall and should continue to develop through winter and swell in spring. You can check to see if any viable buds are present by looking at the stems and seeing the paired growth nodes - these are where the buds should be. Gently rub one off and see if the tissue is green and healthy or brown and dry.

Brown and dry is not good :-(

Any adventitious buds appearing from the base will most likely be rootstock, not the named form grafted on top. And that may or may NOT be what you want :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here