Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do you prune a Kousa Dogwood?

Posted by hydrangeasnohio z5b (My Page) on
Fri, May 21, 10 at 13:53

Hello, I am confused if you should Prune in Late Winter/Early Spring or after they bloom here in Early Summer? Or am I completely wrong?

It has multiple trunks and I just want to clean them up off the ground a little bit and make it keep growing up. Thanks you for any help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do you prune a Kousa Dogwood?

Here.

Dan

o

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Fri, May 21, 10 at 15:19

Purdue University lists Cornus kousa as prune after flowering. You may want to dig a little further in regards to disease cycles for kousa

o

The recommended time is while they are dormant - late winter or early spring. Dogwoods are among those trees that can leak significant amounts of watery sap if pruned too late in the season. And the rule of thumb is to prune these trees with a very light hand, just removing the three D's, correcting any conflicting branching (unsual because of the paired branching structure) and limbing up if necessary. And the recommendation is to take any cuts back to the branch collar - dogwoods respond to lateral or heading cuts by producing copious shoots at the cut and you run the risk of creating this wild, twiggy, Medusa-looking mess if you prune too heavily. Virtually any source will instruct you that Cornus trees require and should receive minimal pruning.

o

Hi gardengal and whass!

I do just want to do some very light pruning. It small new growth that is coming out to low on the trunks. Just confused when to do it??

o

That you can remove at any time :-)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 22, 10 at 13:28

Don't prune enough to expose the stems to sun burn. Note also that pruning bottom branches will not make the top grow more vertically, it just changes the shape of the specimen so that it looks more tree-like. In reference to this phenomenon heavy pruning of bushy shrubs so that they are left with elevated foliage on a smaller number of visible stems has been called "arborizing".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here