Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pagoda Dogwood vs. Satomi Dogwood

Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
Thu, May 13, 10 at 14:03

Is one of these plants more adpatable than the other?

Mainly in regards to sun and soil acidity?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pagoda Dogwood vs. Satomi Dogwood

Pagodas are native to Wisconsin. Reseed readily in my brother's yard and will grow in many varied cultural conditions.

tj

o

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Thu, May 13, 10 at 20:54

You bet, my brother in-law has a few in his wooded backyard. I was tempted to take one but they are too awkward looking.

Have you noticed any fall color?

o

My brother's are shaded by huge oaks and maples so the fall color is a soft yellow. In general, they are not noted for fall color but more their great structural quality. They would need more moisture in an open, hot soil and even then they may suffer unless their feet were shaded by smaller plants. Another brother of mine near Watertown has some wild open grown plants that do well with smaller plants beneath them. Haven't been out there to see the fall color though.

tj

o

Thu, May 13, 10 at 22:37

An older gentelmen down the road has a 4' Pagoda in full sun, but as you mentioned you has a bunch of smaller shrubs and perrenials surrounding the tree...seems to be doing pretty good.

How is your Satomi? I have a Wolf Eyes and I am debating whether to add a Satomi or Pagoda to my landscape. The Satomi seems more ornamental but Pagoda seems to tolerate more sun and has a nicer habit.

The tree would be partially protected from winds, but will still get a decent amount of sun...but in time (5 years or so) will started to get some shade from an Oak I planted.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 14, 10 at 1:14

'Satomi' is susceptible to dogwood anthracnose, try a more recently introduced pink Kousa instead.

Neither Kousa nor pagoda dogwood are drought tolerant, but pagoda dogwood absolutely must have a situation that remains moist.

o

Fri, May 14, 10 at 10:37

Dumb question, but are the pink varieties more susceptible?

Is Wolf Eyes a better choice or even the straight species?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 14, 10 at 14:08

o

Fri, May 14, 10 at 15:56

Looks like 'Wolf Eyes' truly is a dog.

o

Pagoda dogwood is susceptible to a potentially devastating canker disease when under stress. Back in my landscape maintenance days, many of the trees of various ages grown in full sun had this disease to some extent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here