Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Oaks in alkaline soil

paulsiu
10 years ago

My wife was thinking of giving an oak to her mom for mothers day using Arbor Day website. The current contender for the tree is an Oak. A Northern Red Oak would be nice, but would probably die in the PH 7.5 Alkaline soil. What about a Shummard oak? They don't look as nice nor grow as fast, but appears to be more tolerant of alkaline soil, but how tolerant?

Does it also matter where you get it from? Researching the issue, it mentioned that if the stock came from acidic soil, it may not work.

Paul

Comments (15)

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Origin is very important for Shumard Oaks. Some areas (i.e. much of the native Texas versions) are very alkaline tolerant, but probable would not be happy in Chicago. However look into Scarlet Oak. They originate from limestone ridge tops, and as such, once established are drought and alkaline tolerant. However, don't get them from Arbor Day. Love what they are trying to do, but not the place to get trees. You are much better off going to a quality grower. Plus whatever you get, it's not stick it in the ground and forget it. Will take consistent care for a while. They are not growing in a normal native habitat from seed, and as such, require additional care to get them established.

Arktrees

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

Bur Oak and Chinquapin Oak prefer alkaline soils.

Northern Red Oak will be quite comfortable in ph 7.5...as long as the soil isn't wet or compacted. Most oaks, including Shumard & Scarlet Oak will also be fine.

Avoid Pin Oak!

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Northern Red Oak (assuming quercus ellipsoidalis same for rubra though) is native to alkaline soil with ph 7.5 here in WI. Not sure why it would die.

Only oaks to avoid are pin oak and likely scarlett oak.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

I've seen Texas Red Oak literally grow in limestone bedrock. Not sure about Shumard oak growing in limestone bedrock but they grow just fine in highly alkaline soil around here.

• arktrees
    10 years ago

whaas,
    Got to disagree with you on the Scarlet Oak. Natural habitat says otherwise. But see reference below as well.

Arktrees

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarlet Oak

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

ark, there are many sources that state that Scarlet can actually struggle in neutral soils. Surely it can adapt to 7.5ph but you're really pushing the limit for optimal health.

What are you referencing for natural habitat? The habitat follows acidic soil areas to the T.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Quercus_coccinea_map.png

http://bonap.org/2008_Soil/pH20110321.png

• arktrees
    10 years ago

whaas,
    I am having trouble finding the specific reference about pH. I know that I have read it in more than one place. However in way of proxy I will give you the links below

Scarlet Oak are predominately on dry ridges, and other dry sites in that range, though certainly not always. They are also found on good sites with definitely acidic soil.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/quercus/coccinea.htm

Those ridges are often carbonate rock. The map at the link below below showing where those carbonate rocks are located.

http://water.usgs.gov/ogw/pubs/fs00165/Images/fig9.jpg

I will use my general region, as I know it best. In the first link reference i made of nearly pure stands in Missouri on upland sites. These upland sites are in the Missouri Ozarks (I live in the Arkansas Ozarks). The Ozarks are very high in carbonate rocks (basic resulting in locally high pH) where soils are thin. i.e. ridge tops. BTW, this is similar to Cotinus obovatus, except those are generally found immediately above limestone bluffs, of one rocky outcrops.

Lastly, I have Scarlet Oak growing in concrete landscape islands locally, that will most definitely be over 7 in pH.

I will look for the other reference when I can.

Arktrees

• calliope
    10 years ago

I would also recommend you get this tree from a local, established source. Especially so if it is a gift.

• nurseryman33
    10 years ago

Also avoid Swamp White Oak on alkaline soil.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I'm sure there are outliners but can we agree the tree definitely prefers acidic soils? The highest ph I've found that its adaptable to is 7.

nurseryman, Quercus bicolor is one of the most adaptable of the hardy oaks in alkaline soils. Its the "go to oak" here for dry, compacted alkaline soils.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Chinkapin oak is the one most noted as alkaline-tolerant. Texas shumard too. Hard to find them, tho.

Most oaks, w/a few exceptions, can tolerate mildly alkaline soil (7.5 pH sounds rather "mild"). Pin oak seems the least tolerant.

This post was edited by beng on Wed, May 8, 13 at 10:10

• nurseryman33
    10 years ago

I have 3 swamp white oaks in alkaline soil and all are chlorotic. So I Googled "What kind of soil does swamp white oak require?" and most of the sites say that
    they are subject to chlorosis on alkaline soils.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Soil types here seem to be area specific. Up north in the county, way north (Howdershell/Shackelford typr area for those who are local), the planted everywhere pin oaks seem to have a rough time. In my neighbor's yard one grows nicely. I have a shingle oak, my other neighbor has a huge burr oak and two others I'll have to ID some day.

Given that knowledge I tell local folks to plant an oak unless they are way north. They just seem to grow here.

Paulsiu, my longwinded point is, what do you see growing well around there and what looks scragly with yellow leaves?

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

Shumards generally do ok in alkaline soil. Certain specific individuals may not do well.
    Bur Oak would be another good oak choice for alkaline soils.

• jimbobfeeny
    10 years ago

Shumard oak actually ranges pretty far North - There are a few around here along floodplains (At least, I'm sure that's what they are). The silty floodplains around here tend to be Neutral to slightly alkaline, as they get doused with ag lime everytime the river floods.

I like Northern Red Oak - It does extremely well around here, but we do have slightly acidic soils for the most part.

Scarlet oak is more tolerant of alkaline soils than Pin oak. How about Northern pin oak (Q. ellipsoidalis)? Its range seems to imply that it should take alkaline conditions better.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!