Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Tree Suckers

Posted by iKandyXotics 8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 14:26

I noticed this year my apple tree hasn't produced any leaves what so ever. Checked on it and there was 2 large suckers on it. My first thought was just new branches , but after doing research that was not the case. I clipped those two off and was wondering , I scraped a little section of the bark off and it looked viable , is there anything else I need to do to it , or should it jump back to growing regular? It is only roughly 2 yeras old? It is a 5-1-n- Dwarf Apple.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Tree Suckers

Still looks well.

o

Suckers

o

You'll just have to wait and see what happens. The fact that the root suckers had foliage before the rest of the tree is not necessarily a sign of problems. There's not much else you can do at this point, but, if your tree does make it, you might want to remove the turf grass (competition) from around its base.

o

The bark on the top looks brown and shrinking and dead. If the tree is ok, the scraping of the bark with your fingernail will show vivid green. Not white or brown, a bright green.

o

Well , after re-looking at it , it is indeed dead :*( . Dead infact , all the way down to the base. I am not sure if it will be able to grow from that , but , I am going to give it a shot. Lost my 5-n-1 Pear as well due to suckers , man I really should have researched suckers from the begining :*

o

I am replacing the 5-n-1 apple , do you have any helpful tips ? I really want them to grow strong and healthy !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here