Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogwood tree trunk holding water after rain

Posted by lsst SC zone 7b (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 14:29

We bought acreage years ago that has a wonderful Dogwood growing in full sunlight.

The land was formally pasture and at one point in the trees life- years ago it was cut and grew back with three trunks.

Fast forward the trunks have merged together and formed a "vase" shape in the center.

Sunday we broke a weather record and it rained 3.5 inches in one day. My husband noticed several cups of water sitting in the middle of the trunks.

I plan on pumping out the water with a hand pump.
If the tree is otherwise healthy, will the sitting water affect it negatively?

I am not home to take a picture yet. Here is a photo from spring 2012 so you can see its size.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogwood tree trunk holding water after rain

Sitting water will eventually hurt it. Thing to try to guess is if the tree is going to close off the area or otherwise widen and change the shape before it becomes and issue.

Is the bottom of this area mushy yet?

My white ash get this same issue. When cut and sliced you can see the stain from the water down six or eight feet in some cases down their trunks.

What to do? Who knows. Horticultural medical care is in its infancy. Dogwoods can be picky fellas anyways.

Yours is great looking btw. Nice view.

o

Thanks!

Once I drain it, I will check for any rot, etc.

o

I live in west central Oklahoma and cut down a Dogwood because it had long thorns that punctured my mower tire. Be careful when mowing so you will not suffer the same fate. I also have Bois D'Arc, Autumn Olive and Black Locust with thorns, but they are not as long as the Dogwood's. Photo of Bois D'Arc tree is attached.

o

Graydog, do you have pictures of the leaves on that dogwood with thorns?

I have cornus florida, cornus controvera and cornus whatever the red twigs are and they do not have thorns.

o

I really doubt there is anything you can do about this that would be beneficial to the tree. Drilling holes, inserting a "straw", sawing channels, filling the void with foam, etc are much more likely to harm the tree than leaving it as-is.

o

Graydog.....mistaken identity on the thorny dogwood.

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 11:19

graydog, what you show is Osage orange, not dogwood.

Edit: OK, seems you know that is OO. But no dogwood has thorns.Some Bradford pears have simple, dogwood-like leaves and nasty thorns, so that might be it.

This post was edited by beng on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 11:26

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here