Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me to identify this tree sapling

Posted by Anandan 8 (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 14:30

I live in Coppell, TX (75019).

Two years ago, I found a small tree sapling growing under my oak tree and it looked very much like a Christmas tree (Spruce or Pine). I took care of the sapling by watering it regularly and now it is over a feet and half in height. I took it out from the ground and planted it in my west facing front yard of the house.

When I took the tree out from the ground, I noticed that it has got some bristle like (soft thorns) on stems where the needles originate. I am attaching a picture of the tree sapling.

Can you please identify what tree is this ? I tried several online tools with no luck and I doubt if this is a native tree of TX. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me to identify this tree sapling

Additional picture

o

Additional picture

o

It's a juniper. Very likely a seedling of eastern red cedar, Juniperus virginiana, a native to much of the eastern half of the country, including Texas. There is also another native juniper that could be a potential candidate, Juniperus ashei. Both are considered weed trees, as they self-seed everywhere.

o

Agree with Juniperus of some sort.

I'd hardly call it a weed tree...more like a pioneer species. A native tree that is well adapted to colonize disturbed soils, fallow fields, and fire suppressed landscapes. We continually create sites that it most successful on!

o

What smivies said-------------------------------------------------------
Anandan, check out my post about this tree from last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: ERC post 2013

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here