Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadeite_z7

removing tree stump, replanting with cotinus

jadeite
10 years ago

I'm new to this forum, and have spent some time going over past threads on stump removal. We cut down a mostly dead redbud which sufferied during the hard winter of 2011 in the Southwest. The tree cutters left us with a stump about 10 -12" across, 3' high. They said they didn't want to cut it lower because the vibration of their equipment could damage the irrigation pipes which are close to the tree.

The stump is in a walled garden area with limited access for big equipment. One landscaper told us his people could remove it by hand at high cost. Is there another way we can remove the stump? I think there is a ban on fires. We are in New Mexico under severe drought.

Second question: we have a cotinus growing in an alcove of the house. The central trunk was cut off some time ago, and long branches sprout from around the base. I'm hoping I can start a new shrub from cuttings. I would like to plant the new shrub somewhere around the stump. I think it would take some years for a cutting-grown cotinus to reach any real size. Is this plan feasible? In our dry climate I have no idea how long the redbud stump and roots will take to break down.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Comments (10)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Jadeite I'll leave the stump advice to someone else but the easiest way to propagate Cotinus is by pegging a low branch to the ground (rough up the bottom of it first and apply a little rooting hormone) and let it root in, then cut if off, dig it up and plant elsewhere. This is called ground layering. I have never tried cuttings but per Dirr they are tough to root. I find infrequent random seedlings which I often dig up, pot and plant out later.

Good luck!

Sara

• jadeite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sara,

Thanks for the tip. I can probably do several branches at the same time to increase my chances.

Cheryl

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Yes you can - if you were really after propagating it you would cut it down to encourage lateral growth and then peg all of the branches. Google 'Cotinus ground layering' and see what you find.

Sara

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Jadeite, what is your goal with the stumo? A 12 inch stump can be cut flush to ground level by chainsaw or even sawzall, preferably chainsaw.

Once flush to the soil line I would just ride my mower over it or drop a decorative rock on it if in a garden.

If you want to remove it and pipes are near by then remove the soil and procede carefully with the power tools. Maybe even get a new sharp hand saw. Ug, sounds like my days blown removing hineysuckle. I do not think there is any "quick fix" chemically.

Thanks for being concerned about the burn bans btw.

• botann
    10 years ago

You don't have to remove the stump. It's not going to be a veggie garden there with carrots, is it?
    Vibration from a saw won't hurt your pipes. You can cut it as low as you want to above ground. Wait a minute...Are your pipes above ground? Anyway, you can cut it as low as you can without cutting the pipe.
    Here's what I do to some stumps on my property. I put a shovel full of topsoil on the stump and then some Sedums.
    Mike

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the issue is that she insists on planting the smoke bush EXACTLY where the stump is ...

are you that limited in space.. that you cant cut the stump flush.. and plant 3 feet to one side or the other.. or in front to hide it ...

you have yourself duct taped into a box of using that PRECISE spot..

get out of the box.. and solve your problem ... eh

welcome to the GW ....

ken

• jadeite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the responses and the welcome. I was repeating what the tree trimmer told us about cutting the stump. He said that he was afraid vibration from equipment would damage the irrigation pipes which are close to the surface, within an inch or so. They are old, so perhaps they are brittle? You can see them occasionally near the surface.

The tree is about 10 feet from the wall. There's a trumpet vine in the corner of the wall, but with the redbud gone, there's nothing in front so the ground is bare to the edge of the lawn. I think a cotinus would look good in that spot, but it doesn't have to be right over the stump. My concern is inhibiting the cotinus growth by the stump and roots. I'm quite happy planting in front or behind the stump, but in our very dry climate I imagine the stump will be there forever unless I do something to encourage breakdown.

If we use a chainsaw to reduce the stump (assuming the pipes are really OK), can I plant the cotinus a couple of feet from what's left? Or do I have to break down the stump with chemicals?

BTW the cotinus is planted in a dry shaded corner and has been badly cut back. There's a stump about 6" from the ground with long shoots below which rise vertically. Surprisingly they bear clusters of deep purple leaves which are very attractive. I'd like to have this growing in a better spot, so the bare corner left by the redbud would be just right. Then we would cut down the butchered cotinus and put something else there.

Cheryl

This post was edited by jadeite on Wed, May 22, 13 at 9:12

• botann
    10 years ago

The stump won't interfere with the growth of the Smoke Tree no matter how close you plant it to the stump. It's dead.
    What are your concerns that it will?
    Mike

• jadeite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, I didn't know the old roots would not interfere with the new shrub. I'll ask DH to cut down the stump and just plant the cotinus in front of it. That should take care of the problem.

Thanks,
    Cheryl

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

my good friend mike.. lives in the wettest place in the world ... lol ... the PNW.. pacific northwest ...

now this is what happens just about everywhere else ...

to rot.. wood requires water.. lots of water ... so if you plant real close to a large root system ... you can create a real dry area ... which MIGHT be a problem with a transplant ... so just INSURE.. the transplant stays properly moist for a year or two ...

next... to rot.. wood steal available nitrogen from the soil ... so.. if in a year or two ... the plant.. being properly watered and all .. starts to yellow a bit .. you will need to fert it.. JUST A LITTLE ... but they are not children..and dont need to be fed.. so the fert.. is ONLY ... a remedy.. should you OBSERVE a problem ...

so.. putting.. two and two together.. if you want the stump to rot faster.. after cutting flush to the ground.. hubby could drill some one inch holes in it.. and you could put some fert in those holes.. and then keep it all moist ... and it will speed the rotting along.. somewhat ... regardless.. its going to be there a long time... depending on moisture.. but you are going to hide it with the other.. so i dont know if i would waste the effort on all this ...

finally ... you will have. a spectacular mushroom show over the years ... and i suggest you enjoy that for what its worth.. its knowledge.. that there is enough moisture.. for mother natures breaker-downers.. the fungus.. to be attacking..the wood ...

you can even trace where large roots were .. by the line of mushrooms ...

just enjoy that part.. when they use up the energy stored in the wood.. they will go away on their own ...

BTW .. has the stump been treated to die???? .. after the final cut.. you should apply 100% round up.. or stump killer to the EDGE of the stump... the green layer.. just under the bark ....

good luck

ken

ps: and come back.. if you have suckers popping up.. we know how to take care of those also ...