Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remove Tree Seedlings from established lawn

Posted by agladder 7B (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 10 at 14:40

Tree seedlings are growing from fallen acorns within an established lawn. Please advise on how to properly remove them. Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remove Tree Seedlings from established lawn

repeated mowing of the lawn should take care of them ..

and then.. if it really bothers you.. get rid of the oak ..

ken

o

I think Ken means get rid of the lawn.
They are so pass.

Don't fight a losing battle, grass needs sun. Extend your mulch ring today!

o

Just keep mowing.

o

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Thu, May 27, 10 at 20:26

If they are in the lawn, mow 'em. If they are in the garden, hoe 'em. If they are in neither, spray 'em. Mowing will eventually get rid of trees in turf. However, long term, do we see turf in the forest? Musicalperson is, somewhat ironically, partially correct. A matter of timing.
hortster

o

Mowing works. Oak seedlings (most seedlings, in fact) don't have the vigor to keep coming up again and again in the middle of an established lawn.

o

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I pulled a few out of the ground and noticed I can sometimes pull out the acorn from where it was established. If a simple mow will improve the situation, therefore only cutting off the tops of the seedlings. Will the seedling re-establish themselves since the acorns are still in the ground/lawn?

o

the acorn is a finite source of power ... perhaps enough to sprout up.. and put down a root ...

mowing.. removes the top ... and without leaves to make food.. the acorn will run out of energy.. before it can re-establish the top

simple enough??? i am sure there is more science behind it.. but that should suffice

ken

o

I have saplings that are growing every where in my yard, and I don't know how long they have been being mowed down, but some of the roots are 4 feet long and are still producing little sprouts of trees. I don't know what they are. Feathery with some green and burgandy. I am so annoyed. I cannot get them out and if I get some out, it's not the whole thing. HELP!

o

Joelle,

Since this thread is about oak seedlings, you might want to consider starting your own thread, particularly because your problem may be related to suckers rather than seedlings. Start your own thread and post some pictures so we can ID the tree and respond accordingly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here