Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' major freeze damage

Posted by ruth_mi z5MI (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 14:41

I have a 'Bloodgood' maple that's about 25 years old in front of my house, which faces east. I'd say about 80% of the leaves are crunchy brown now from the freeze damage a few nights ago. (Gee, and my damaged hostas are only limp and ragged!). The tree was healthy before - any ideas what will happen to it now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' major freeze damage

hi ruthy

it will probably releaf..

the greater fear.. would be if it releafed.. and then got froze again ...

out here in adrian MI ... a lot of my stuff is as you describe this spring..

ken

o

hey kenny. :-)

I'm glad to know that it will probably get a second round of leaves. If we get another hard freeze after that, guess I'll need to run the sprinkler all night to save that and the Libertys that are close by.

Thanks for the input.

o

I feel your pain. Mine are on south side of my house. My two japanese maples and a row of boxwoods got it bad. Nothing else in my yard was damaged, except a few upcoming hostas. My bloodgood looks completely gone, i'm praying it'll re-leaf, they are such beautiful trees. We have many other trees, lived here 15 years and have never had this happen.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Well, they say that misery loves company, but I'm really sorry to see your maple looking so much like mine, massagerocks. The one in my front yard is actually even more brown than yours, but I have a couple more in back that aren't quite as bad.

Your boxwoods look like a couple of my yews. And I composted hosta leaves today...love composting, but not my hostas!

I keep repeating "At least it's not my livelihood..."

Here's hoping they releaf and survive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here