Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a proper cutting?

Posted by QLily none (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 14:50

I ordered this online. I am new at using trees from cuttings. When I ordered it, I had no idea it was a cutting. It was not listed as a cutting. I was informed of that and that it had the top cut off of it. Will this grow into a proper tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a proper cutting?

This is the whole top of the tree.

o

what i cant tell.. is if it was grafted ... that is a very common cut to remove top growth of the understock when grafting...

if that is so ... then that stuff growing down below is NOT the plant you ordered.. it is the root stock plant.. and should be removed ....

there.. now you are more confused than when you asked.. lol ...

whats the plant ... perhaps link us to the website.. and maybe we can read between all those fancy words... lol ...

does the tag say magnolia???

not many TREES... are grown from cutting .. especially high priced foo foo flowering shrubs and trees ... grafting is faster to market ... so its usually preferred ...

name that plant...

ken

o

I can't find the link. It is a magnolia. I email the seller and he said he has been doing this for 30 years and that what I got was a mid branch cut. It does seem to be a nongrafted whole piece. It does have roots. I am fairly peeved that it is a cutting. I wouldn't have ordered it had I known.

I am not sure about the other plants I got from him. I also bought 2 cherry trees. I received them with brown spots. A friend of mine says it's a fungus. I haven't heard back yet about that.

Lesson learned. lol

o

A few trees are commonly cultivated from cuttings - poplars and willows, Platanus (planes and sycamores) come to mind. All easy-to-root species for the most part.

I wasn't aware Magnolia was.

But - if it's the tree cultivar you ordered and is healthy, why does it matter how he propagated it?

That "kink" in the stem from where it was cut will be rather unnoticeable in a few years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here