Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick Cherry Tree (Help Needed)

Posted by Sugarplums 5b (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 14:56

I'm looking for some tips or pointers as to what could remedy the wounds of our Cherry tree. We live in southern Sweden where the climate is USDA hardiness zone 5B (during a bad winter) to 7A (normal winter).

The wounds pretty much looked like this when we got the property two years ago. They are not bleeding that much compared to what i have seen in some Cherry trees. You can also see that the tree is trying to heal in the areas where it seems possible, but the wounds are just too big i think. Will the tree die from this eventually? Should i put something on them, or cut some parts away?

For the short stump sticking up between the three main branches i guess the tree has little chance of healing. Should i cut it closer to the base to try to get it to heal naturally?

Would it be good to try to seal the wonds or to leave them open?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Wound 1

Wound 2

Wound 2 (other angle)

Should we cut this down?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sick Cherry Tree (Help Needed)

its dying...

time to get rid of it.. and plant another ...

its time to invest and divest.. and though your inclination is to invest.. i say but nay.. divest ...

the best decision i made at my first house.. was the day i got rid of the last nightmare the prior owners left ... unfortunately it was 5 years later.. and i wasted a lot of time trying to save history..

i say pshaw on history.. get rid of it.. and create your own nightmares.. lol

ken

o

Haha^.. Yes, it's junk.

+oM

o

You could plant another tree now, and let it grow for some years before you take this old tree away.

o

Cherries in general are subject to a wide range of disease issues which generally add up to making a typical life span rather short.

sometimes...it's not that you are cutting it down...it's that you are providing an opportunity to plant something else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here