Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krnuttle

kwanzan Cherry

krnuttle
11 years ago

We purchased the tree at Lowes about 3 months ago. It was about 4' tall and a little less that an 1" on the truck. We planted it and it seemed to adopting to its new environment.

The tree was planted with the top of the root ball at the surface of the ground with a little dike around the tree on three sides to collect the water coming down the slope. There is additional slope below the tree, or it is about 3.5 feet above the bottom of the slope. The hole was about twice the diameter of the root ball. The slope is modest, and drains about 400 square feet. The soil is clay and quartz, but seems to drain well and perk.

There is a large newly planted oak about 30' away and about 4' above the cherry. It was purchased as a 12 to 14' tree and was planted last October. It is growing well.

We planted a forsythia at the same time as the Cherry about 5 feet from the Cherry. The forsythia is doing fine, and growing.

About three weeks ago, the leaves of the Cherry look wilted hanging down like they are not getting enough water. I immediately watered it. Today we looked at the tree and some of the leaves are looking yellow. There is no damage to the trunk or branches

We have been getting decent rain, about 0.5" every 3 to 4 days. Two days ago we got about an inch. If the rains don't come within that period I have been watering them with about twice the volume of the original root ball.

Can any one tell me what I am doing wrong.

Comments (2)