Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gingko biloba.....invasive roots?

Posted by two_munkeys z6 ON (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 15:18

I googled this info but I am finding conflicting results from seemingly reputable sources so I thought I'd ask the experts ;o)

It seems to be widely recommended as a street/parking lot/confined space tree so I guess it won't heave paving but...

Does this tree have an invasive root system? Do the roots surface like some maples?

Is it OK to plant near a concrete patio (10-15 feet away)?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gingko biloba.....invasive roots?

NOTHING.... i mean nothing is like a maple ... dont even begin to dream about them being anything alike ... in regard to roots, i mean ...

for the most part.. ginkgo grows so slow.. the roots most likely will NOT be an issue in your life time ...

and.. last i heard.. they are conifers... but then.. conifers are trees... so go figure on that .. lol ..

just go for it.. if a root appears in 20 to 30 years.. deal with it then ..

ken

o

".. last i heard.. they are conifers..."

Not any more. Gymnosperm, yes, but has it's own division. Conifer, no.

tj

o

i suspected such.. sometimes its hard to keep up with the resin-types of the world.. lol ....

ken

o

Japanese maple sometimes grow so slowly, even much slower than
ginkgo therefore, Ken is partially correct or wrong, however you want it to be. Ken needs to do a better job at specifying which exact maple he's talking about since he tends to lump all maples into bad category which could confuse or scare novice gardeners.

o

i had a bloodgood

it had a horrible dense mat-like root mass into which i could barely put a shovel ... a bit different from the giant roots popping out of the soil... but still a root problem issue...

go figure.. i could not grow hosta under it ...

a maple.. is a maple.. is an acer ... IMHO ...

it does not matter whether i like maple.. or hate them.. all i try to do.. is ask peeps to think about what they want to do in their garden.. IF they favor a maple .... as far as i am concerned.. they are great park trees ... but not to garden under ....

but the post is about ginkgo .. so we digress ....

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here