Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time to plant a tree...

Posted by beezray z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 15:19

You know how sometimes you go to the store to buy a fence for your garden, and you leave with a tree?...maybe that's just me. In any case, we just bought an eastern redbud, and I want it to do well here at its new home. Planned on putting it in a fairly shady location, between 2 maple trees. It would get early morning, and very late afternoon sun. I don't know much about trees, especially pruning. A passerby at the store was telling me I should cut all the top branches when I plant it, so the energy goes to establishing the roots. Does that sound right? Any planting tips would be greatly appreciated. This tree is fairly large....about 14' tall, so if I need to trim the top, it'd be easier to do before it goes in. Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time to plant a tree...

DO NOT listen to the passerby......they have no idea what they are talking about! Pruning stimulates growth and trimming back the top branches will only prompt the tree to try to replace them, to the deficit of root formation. It's the same concept as not pruning a shrub before transplanting - the plant needs all that foliage growth to support the root system.

That is a large tree for a starter (and especially for a redbud). You should be aware that planting larger trees at this time of year in your area is pushing the limits a bit and you will need to pay very close attention to watering through the summer and up until leaf drop in fall.

Planting is relatively simply. Dig a hole 2-3 times the width of the rootball but not quite as deep. Position the tree in the planting hole, then remove wrappings (ropes or ties, burlap from the around the trunk and top of the rootball, any wire caging, etc.) and refill the planting hole with the removed soil. Firm well and water in thoroughly. Mulch around the base to retain moisture and keep weeds down.

o

crikey ... you go to a hardware store.. and take advice from guys at the hardware store.. ON THE TREES IN THE PARKING LOT???

THANK GOD YOU HAD THE INSIGHT TO ASK .. oops...

see link .. ask if anything confuses you ;..

in my MI .. adrian.. tree planting time was april. and october ... its very hard when you try planting leafed out trees.. the only way to win.. is at the link.. perfect PROPER WATERING ...and the maples might make that hard ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I love redbuds. Just planted another one today. They are just beginning to show leaves here in SE Wis. Like the others said, don't prune it this year. But when you do finally get around to pruning it, you may notice that redbud often have V shaped crotch angles, where 2 branches come together. The more narrow, or V shaped the crotch, the weaker it is. The more horizontal the branch is, the stronger it is. Just keep this in mind when choosing which branches to remove.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here