Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erin_farr

Need some tree recommendations

At first I thought my limited space forced me to reconsider having a tree but after browsing this forum I'm thinking that the door may not yet be shut on this one yet!

I posted to the shrub forum already asking for help as well but I figured it can't hurt to post here especially since a tree is what I was initially after.

The corner of my house is where I'd like to plant but the lack of area before hitting the property line is what I thought was limiting me. I do not want the window blocked but the area from the window to the property line is about 8 feet. My neighbour has a large oak where the trunk is right on the property line, so I am not overly concerned about the canopy hanging over onto the neighbouring property which gives me more room to play with. If the canopy grows past the first story, I feel like I have even more options.

{{gwi:28727}}

I'm linking my post in the Landscape Design forum which includes more photos and information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Design Thread

Comments (10)

• ttonk
    10 years ago

Is 8' b/w the house corner and the property line, or b/w the end of window and the property line?

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

dogwoods and redbuds would work. Now there are many types of dogwoods, flowering dogwood (cornus florida) would best in this situation I think . Many of my neighbors have these trees planted close to the house without any damage.

• arktrees
    10 years ago

I take it's from the window edge to property line. First thought that come to my mind are Crabapple or American Fringe Tree. But those will be tight eventually. Could also do a more columnar shaped tree, be it Crabapple, Oak, Ginkgo, or something else.. Not wanting to block the window at all will be though. Maybe Mt Airy Fothergilla for a larger shrub.

Arktrees

• Erin Farr (Niagara Zone 6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

5 feet from corner of house to property line
    8 feet from edge of stucco area to property line
    9 feet from actual window to property line

Dogwoods typically have a greater width than height do they not? I should also mention I'm not a big fan of flowers and am more of a foliage type person. I can tolerate flowers but am not sure I want an entire tree of them.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Crabapple has been recommended to me 3 times now...I'm thinking this might make the short list!

• bgbtoronto
    10 years ago

Dawyck Beech trees are very popular trees in my neighborhood. I have seen many people plant them up against their houses and at the corners of their houses. They come in different color variations. My favorite is purple...

The purple fountain Beech is also very popular for corner plantings! Hope this helps

• greenthumbzdude
    10 years ago

maybe a clethera sweetshrub a great cultivar is "Rubyspice" they do have flowers...but they smell is intoxicating....really something special. Interesting foliage and grows into a very large bush. Native too.

• ttonk
    10 years ago

You could plant any tree on this spot and it won't be up against your house, nor block the passage from the front yard to the side yard.

Some small maples?

• keefesn1
    10 years ago

Don't go with a crab apple, you can easily enjoy that in somebody else's yard. Look at ginkgo biloba jade butterflies, acer palmatum koto no ito, taxodium distichum peve minaret or even liquidambar styraciflua slender silhouette. Branch out a bit from the common and mainstream.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! Thanks all for the recommendations!! A lot of people in my neighbourhood have Japenese Maples (red...not sure of the name) at the corner or tall green conifers...so that is something I want to stay clear of! I do want to break away from mainstream and all these suggestions are great!

Others ones I have come up with are:

Chinese Fringe Free
    Star Magnolia
    Japanese Maple - Butterfly
    Crape Myrtle - Acoma or Tonto

I really REALLY like the Crape Myrtle Acoma and aware I will need to baby it a bit for first couple years until it is established since I am on the cold end of its zone...would I ALWAYS have to baby it (i.e. wire cage with leaf insulation) or can I stop after a couple years? Or is it just a bad idea overall...? I also read tht Seven Son Flower is Crape Myrtle's northern cousin...

Keep the tips and recommendations coming!