Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Live Oak Bark Peel?

Posted by blakrab TX (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 15:43

About a ~28" long piece of bark somehow fell off this Live Oak tree trunk. And there appears to be an entire delaminated gap between the underlying wood grain and bark still on the tree...

What causes this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood grain

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Live Oak Bark Peel?

prior damage ...

lightening.. car... boy with bat .. wombats ...

how high is the damage ...

i see no indication of healing deep inside the recess ..

how does the rest of the tree look???

i dont understand the right side of the pic ...or the see thru hole in the middle ... unless that is the piece of bark???? and you are holding it up for the pic???

perhaps a pic of the greater trunk might help ...

do you see any stain on the bark piece.. to indicate the injury??? like that blackish mark in the low right side of the pic ???

ken

o

^ Sorry, yes I was holding the piece of fallen bark up next to where it fell off for reference (as if it opened like a book). The damage was about chest-high.

The bark seemed to be loose all around the opening of that hole. How far it extends beyond that, I cannot tell? Yet, the tree overall still looks healthy.

I did not notice any other signs of external injury, either..

I mean, if it was a physical impact, the damage should have just been very local. And even then, I kind of doubt it would have so cleanly delaminated the bark like that?

I am actually suspecting a lightning strike, now.. And in fact, there were just heavy rains all last week..

Here is a link that might be useful: Lightning strike

This post was edited by blakrab on Fri, May 16, 14 at 18:04

o

I would be tempted to apply wound sealer. We had a red maple get struck by lightening, I would look for some charring. I may be wrong, but where is a burn mark? Could a buck have rubbed the bottom and broke a large area off? Is it low enough. I am no tree pro, but there should be some scorching somewhere if it was lightening.

o

never seal anything...

and re: poaky ..... that is why i asked for a more general pic of the tree ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here