You are very welcome.

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Cydonia?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by lucky_p z6 W.KY (My Page) on Fri, May 10, 13 at 10:48
    I don't know. The leaves are smaller than the Cydonia I saw before. If you pay close attention to the edge of the leaves, they are more rose-like, i.e. serrate leafs. The flowers are also larger than the Cydonia I saw before. The inside of the petals is a vivid reddish color. The outside of the petals is pale or whitish pink. The tree does not set fruit, unfortunately, the fruits drop off shortly after flowering.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Fri, May 10, 13 at 13:01

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you examine the pictures, you can confirm that the diameter of the flowers is the same as the main trunk of this tree.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

ok...only because nobody has said it yet. Pseudocydonia?

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

That was my next consideration, as well, smivies.
    The leaves would fit, and mine bloomed lightly this year, but I didn't have time to pay much attention to the flowers.
    Older stems/trunks will develop a pleasing 'variegated' appearance, similar to some of the crape myrtles, but none of the op's photos show that.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

My pseudocydonias have fruit the size of mangos...this one does not set fruit...

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

"this one does not set fruit..."

@ formandfoliage....the absence of fruit is not an identifying feature. Fruit that drops shortly after flowering might indicate unsuccessful pollination or unfavorable climatic conditions.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by formandfoliage 9b (Sunset zone 15) (My Page) on Mon, May 13, 13 at 10:55

It may be a sterile version. Plants seem to be more vigorous if they are sterile.

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

My Pseudocydonia seedlings have been blooming for the past 2-3 years. No fruit set(or at least, no significant size attainment before 'abortion') - but I'm certain that they will maintain and mature fruits at some point.
    Betting the op's plant is P.sinensis

Here is a link that might be useful: Pseudocydonia sinensis

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Gad I'd hate to think of one more vigorous than any of the specimens I've seen (all of which are fruiting). You have to beat this thing back with a stick!

And the fruit is so heavy that it can break the branches. Smells heavenly, though, and is lovely perfume when picked and placed in bowls inside.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by formandfoliage 9b (Sunset zone 15) (My Page) on Mon, May 13, 13 at 18:22

Vigorous meaning more flowering and more disease resistance. Both are features loved.

As for the fruit, I heard they possess beautiful scent but I have never seen one. Maybe you can mail one over, if that is allowed.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by lucky_p z6 W.KY (My Page) on Mon, May 13, 13 at 7:48

I went to see the linked pictures. Now, I realize the bark looks quite different. The flowers of the one in picture are also much larger. It could be a hybrid of some sort.

Here is a link for the Google images of the unique bark patterns.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Tue, May 14, 13 at 10:53

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure if this is also edible ... wondering ...