Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Critique these pruning cuts on American Elm

Posted by alexander3 6 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 16:03

I'm consistently seeing this kind of callusing pattern on the pruning cuts I'm making on my American elms. You can see the horseshoe shape rather than the ideal circle of callus. These elms are prone to tight branching angles with some included bark, making the pruning cuts a bit tricky. Is the best I can expect, or am I doing something wrong? The cuts I make on other trees grow over just fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Critique these pruning cuts on American Elm

as far as i am concerned.. its doing its thing.. the way it wants too .. and it appears that you did your thing properly.. because it is closing up the wound.. like its supposed to ...

i cant tell if you left perhaps a bit more than usual.. with the front on pic ... maybe if you cut closer.. it wouldnt do that.. but then it would be easy to dig too deep and make the wound twice as big in surface area ... and i would probably not favor that ...

side pic???

if you are worrying.. i wouldnt.. looks like its working in tree time... and getting the job done ...

ken

o

These pruning cuts look good to me. Take a look at the link below which includes some relevant content from an educational pruning book (Hopefully it works.... it's a great book by the way in Kindle Version (over 300 pages so it covers everything and then some).

It seems to indicate that although normally good pruning cuts will result in the ideal circle but this is not always the case.... seems to depend on the species but I would bet it is because the branches were described as being included.

Is that a classic American Elm or a cultivator?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Ed Gilman Book (U shaped healing)

o

I'm not too worried about it, the cuts are not that large, just always trying to do things the best way.

Longtee, the tree is Ulmus americana 'Valley Forge'. It is prone to these tight angles, as well as this nasty habit of making these 4 branch crotches (imagine your hand with no thumb, the 4 "fingers" all emerging side by side)

Thanks for the input!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here