Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Have any of you used a Pool Kit to test your Soil PH?

ilovemytrees
9 years ago

That's what the woman at our local Soil and Water Conservation Dept said to use. She said a lot of people in our area use the pool kits, instead of dropping off samples for them to test, and having to wait out the results...

I was just wondering if any of you would use a pool kit?

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

how did she suggest you apply a soil to a water based test strip???

make the soil wet.. but then. arent you testing the water ????

go figure on this.. the link says:

A fairly accurate and simple method of testing pH that is inexpensive is reported by the American Rose Society as follows: Take a soil sample and add at least the same amount of relatively neutral (pH 7.0) deionized water. Mix well and allow to settle. Carefully remove the liquid and test it with a swimming pool pH test kit. You are really on target to start with your soil and know all about it. Your garden will flourish with careful attention to your soil.

==>>> so it is imperative.. that the water be neutral ... who knew ...

ken

ps: how do you take the same amount of a liquid.. and a solid ... by volume.. or weight .. or what ....???

Here is a link that might be useful: its the first link at this link .. i am going to watch the youtube now ...

• RyanStorm
    9 years ago

I just got a test from Lowes that had a pH test, light brightness tester and water moisture tester, all built into 1 little unit that cost 10$.

• jbraun_gw
    9 years ago

I saw that tester at Home Depot for $12.99. Guess I'll stop at Lowes instead. Thanks Ryan.

Ken, I was going to cheap out and get a pool test kit until I read your post. Thanks.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I agree with M. Soil pH tests do not test the solid particles but the soil solution.

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

I believe the method described half water and an half soil is the simplified test method recommend by government agencies for the testing of soil. The actual method requires the use of standards and water that meets specified standards, which includes pH.

The mixture is made stirred and the pH tested on the liquid after the particulate settles.

As I said this is a standard method and can be found in the Federal Register.

• eggmansky
    9 years ago

Of course I've tried a pool tester (I have a pool!)â¦only two drawbacks:
    1. I'm color blind
    2. Hydroponically speaking, you check the water AFTER adding nutrients, sending the colors out of range

What I'm looking for in this forum: A top of the line, easy to read, digital (no colors involved) PH tester. Thanx in advance for any advice!

9 years ago

eggman ....

for your pool.. or for soil???

if pool.. try the pool forum ...

if soil ... try the soil forum ...

and since your bio state hydroponics.. try that forum ...

welcome to GW ...

and dont get me wrong.. you can post whatever you want.. where ever you want. ... i am just trying to gives you leads to other sources of info ...

now.. any trees you want to talk about????

coo-coo-ka-chew ... i am the eggman ...

ken

I am the eggman (woo), they are the eggmen (woo), I am the walrus, Coo coo, kachoo. Mister City P'liceman sitting. Pretty little policemen in a row. See how they ...

• violetsnapdragon
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Found this because I have pool strips and have never had my soil tested and, so...my 2 cents is that you test your water FIRST as a baseline. THEN, do that thing where you mix the water and your soil and test the mixture. Compare THAT to the pH reading that you got from testing your water. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be out in the yard conducting an experiment.

UPDATE: Tested the water, then tested the mix (actually the water, after the dirt settled a bit) and the results were...pretty much the same. So either my soil is coincidentally the same pH reading as my water or...it's not really an accurate test. Oh, well--I had the strips anyway, so there was no cost involved and an interesting experiment. Perhaps I will finally getting around to the county extension soil test.

2 months ago

you know.. soil conditions arent usually specific you your small garden or backyard... usually the general soil conditions are greater than the size of your county ... one farmer does the same as almost all farmers... for the most part ...

sooo.. contact your local COUNTY extension.. soil conservation or Ag office.. and simply ask them for some generalities... and i bet you would be within 76 to 90% correct .. and btw.. they are often all in the same building ...

presuming you arent living on a bog.. or some such rather limited anomaly ...

and violet.. pure genius.. duh.. test the water first.. lol.. way to simple ... lol...

2 months ago

also.. and good local nurseyman will also know ... but be careful.. too many of those are snake oil salesmen.. wanting to sell you soil amendments you dont need...

its one way to test them... without them knowing you know the answer ... presuming you know the answer in advance ...

ken