Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Driveway Trees

Posted by zoey75 (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 16:23

We had a cedar tree lined driveway before Hurricane Sandy. We would like to replace the trees but not with cedars. Can you please suggest some trees that might work. We are in NJ, which I think is a zone 6.

EDD: We are looking for a tree that is about 40 feet tall at maturity with maybe a 20 ft spread. I like the look of pear trees when they are green but I know they are not a smart choice.

Here is a current picture...

This post was edited by zoey75 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 17:39

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Driveway Trees

Here is a picture of the cedars before the hurricane.

o

Limbed up metasequoia and/or taxodium, I'd leave a little more space than in the pic though. If you are zone 5 go with the taxodium. Leave enough room on the street end to plant a flowering tree of your choice on either side.

I worry about monocultures as the wrong winter or bug comes by and you have nothing, ask the gateway arch folks. But your drive was pretty darned neat looking I must admit.

o

A driveway lined with Katsura trees is really attractive!!

o

Thank you both! We are looking for something the same size as the cedars about 40 ft at maturity. The trees you suggested are beautiful but I fear a tad big for our space. I love the idea of a flowering tree at the street.

o

Hovenia dulcis is a deciduous Tree growing to 10 m (32ft) by 7 m (23ft). It is hardy to zone 6 and is not frost tender. It is in flower in July, and the seeds ripen from Sep to October.
http://www.pfaf.org/user/plant.aspx?LatinName=Hovenia+dulcis

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Recs

o

Check out fastigiate european hornbeam, since you're after a medium-sized tree and like the look of 'pears' (I'm guessing you referred to Bradford pear, which tend to have a more formal, smooth, full-bodied form).

I don't know how they do in your area, but if you like a medium-sized zone appropriate somewhat formal tree, just might be the ticket.

Richard.

o

Thank you so much! I think hornbeam might work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here