Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting established dwarf weeping cherry tree

Posted by sister3 NH (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 07 at 16:24

Am I going to kill my tree? We planted this tree at least 6 years ago. Bought it as a twig from Springhill mail order. We are putting in a pool and this little tree is so in the way. It is about four feet tall and maybe four inches wide at the trunk. It is flowering right now. I would love any suggestions. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting established dwarf weeping cherry tree

Wait til after flowering, take the biggest rootball you can, if possible put it in at least filtered light or somewhere that gets a little midday shade, and keep well watered.

o
RE: transplanting established dwarf weeping cherry tree

Dig a hole - which may need altering to fit the actual rootball, instead of the imagined rootball - before you begin to dig the tree. Water the cherry well the day before you dig it - you don't want mud, but you do want the tree to be well hydrated, and you want the root ball to stay together as much as possible. Use use a tarp to shift it, don't pick it up by the trunk, handy as it is, as that can disturb roots. And mulch it.... Oh, and try NOT to do this when the hottest days of the year are forecast - an overcast day would be good and the day before rain would be perfect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here