Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paraphoe

Why can't I grow a Willow from a cutting?

Paraphoe
9 years ago

Guys,

Looking for a little help here. I've heard how easy it is to grow a willow tree from a cutting. I've been trying to do this with absolutely no success for a while now. I've made 8 or so attempts.

Every single time, the cutting dries out, the leaves crinkle up, and it's dead in a week. I don't understand it. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I've tried:

- Starting the clipping in water for a few days, then transplanting into dirt.

- Covering the base in rooting hormone

- No rooting hormone and just going straight into the soil

- Different types of soil

- Different moisture levels of the soil

Every attempt has failed. I've attached pictures of my latest attempt with 2 small cuttings in a water bottle with soil. As you can tell, these have dried out and are dead.

The ONLY thing I can think of is the clippings I'm using are too small/thin. I read online they should be 1/2'' - 1'' in diameter to root. Is this accurate? Not sure I can get up high enough to cut one that thickness.

Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Thanks all.

Comments (16)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

I think the weeping willow my neighbor started was a bit thicker than that. Was probably early in the spring also.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

is that dirt in that container

see link

ken

ps: if something has leaves on it.. it must be in a humidity dome .. such as a plastic bag ... and the one thing you left out.. how long do you give them.. 3 to 6 months???? .. perhaps you were on the verge of success... and gave up too soon .. i would have tried with dormant cuttings or stripped all leaves off

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• spedigrees z4VT
    9 years ago

Like you, Paraphoe, I also have had no luck trying to root pussywillows from clippings. I tried placing them in water last year. This year I have stuck the cuttings directly into the soil in very moist, swampy areas. I'm hoping this will bring better results, but time will tell. Here's hoping both our started willow cuttings actually grow roots this year!

• famartin
    9 years ago

I've rooted weeping willow several times in my youth. You are not leaving them in the water nearly long enough. I left them in a clear container (like a plastic cup) until a fairly decent mass of roots had grown (usually this meant a month or two, but it was a long time ago so the amount of time required is not at all certain). After significant roots had grown, I would very gently dig a hole, place the roots within, and lightly sprinkle the dirt back in so that it filled as much as the space in the roots as possible. Then I would water thoroughly and make sure it never dried out. This would probably have greater success if planting out was accomplished in the early autumn. Anyway, that method worked for me on multiple occasions/tries.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

"... the cutting dries out, the leaves crinkle up, and it's dead in a week. ..." There is no way a willow twig can die in a week unless you have put it in the oven.

" ...... these have dried out and are dead....."

I think you are giving up far too soon. Imo neither of the cuttings in your picture is dead. They may not yet have rooted but they are still alive. Just because the leaves shrivel and fall a cutting is not necessarily dead. I think you need to be much more patient. Take your cuttings and insert into medium in a container or just stick in corner of the garden. Then leave them for weeks and do nothing to them except ensure they don't dry out. Don't give up on them until next spring. If they don't leaf out then they have failed. As a child I used to climb a willow which grew from a fence post. They really are that easy but you must give them a chance.

• krnuttle
    9 years ago

As said by another poster in another thread, a tree lives in Tree time, not your time.

A tree does not have a watch, ,so does not know hours, minutes, and seconds. It does not have a calendar so does not know days and months. The only thing it knows is what the sun tells it, the seasons. The first season, it grows from seed to a sprout, the second season it grows from a spout to a plantable tree. It then takes many season to become a tree. and years to become a tree that will be an architectural feature in your yard

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Hmm. I've had mostly success just pushing them deep into the soil, but you need to do it before the leaves are fully out, and the larger the stem (diameter of your thumb is a good size) & more deeply pushed down, the better the success. Plus they need watering ALOT (unless pushed into wet streambank soil) to get established since they have no roots at first -- they can easily dry out unless there's constant rain.

That said, understand if they "take", you're going to have a big tree in a short time. Fine for where I wanted one, but near a house or other structure would not be appropriate for a weeping willow.

• Paraphoe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies folks. Great forum - I appreciate all the input.

Looks like I've been giving up too quickly, but when the cuttings are completely dry and shriveling, in my mind it's game over. I will keep on watering the two in the picture posted and ignore the shriveled leaves. Fingers crossed.

I may also make another attempt with a thicker branch if I can reach, and I will leave it in water much longer than I have been doing.

I'll try to check back in and let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the help!

• garden veggies
    8 years ago

Hello, Paraphoe,

I have been trying to root the weeping willow too.

I would like to know if you succeeded. Dd you have roots. If so, how long did it take??

• salicaceae
    8 years ago

If you take a cutting in early spring (about this thickness of a pencil or so)), plant directly in the soil, with about 2-4 buds above the soil line and 8-10" below it will root within a couple of weeks. If it must be done when the parent tree isn't dormant, you really need a mist bench for best success. Rooting in water isn't a great idea because then you must get it established in soil. Just start with moist soil. I've rooted thousands of cuttings and willows are among the easiest if done right. Also, it should be mentioned that not all willows root with the same ease. Pussy willows for example, are not as easy (though still easy compared to say, an oak).

• garden veggies
    8 years ago

Thanks!!

Will do that in spring. I guess will have to do this in March -April whenever it gets a bit warmer here.

It is so confusing to read on, when to make cuttings; some say fall/ dormant, others swear by spring. LOL. I am new to the rooting thing. and I thought Willow would be the easiest .. Hehe

Thanks again..

• garden veggies
    8 years ago

Hello Again,

I have wonderful news!!!

I just saw a few tiny roots in the middle of the submerged node of my weeping willow cutting!!! I guess it took a while but it is rooting!! I am leaving it in till they are bigger.

I guess patience is a virtue I need to cultivate!!

Thanks again!

• Logan L. Johnson
    8 years ago

why would you want a willow tree?!? but that aside you problably need to go with a thicker branch and dont throw it away if the leaves wilt that doesnt mean its dead

• Adam Griffith
    8 years ago

Same problem only mine dried up and turned black after sprouting leaves and roots.

• User
    8 years ago

I stick 10inch, 1/4inch thick stems (of the same years growth) direct into the soil in September. They always root over winter and start leafing out by next spring (although they do not extend their length for the first year). I rooted 17 different willows from hardwood cuttings - all rooted easily without water, hormone stuff - I was almost convinced you could stick them in upside down and they would root.