Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with trimming a mature Maple

Posted by jamshed 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 16:35

I have a large maple in my front yard (perhaps 40-50 ft tall).

Last yeat year I did some major trimming to open it up and let more sunlight in and through so that it wasn't killing my lawn below. Took off some of the lower brances as large as 3-4" a their base, and lopped off some of the smaller sub-branches. That worked well. (I hope I did the right thing.)

Now, it is sprouting new shoots from the bare branches again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9g4eb7hgmylh7je/IMG_0267.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9g4eb7hgmylh7je/IMG_0268.jpg

Should I leave these until they mature, or cut them off before they get any larger?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with trimming a mature Maple

your link says:

Nothing Here
The file you are looking for has been deleted or moved.

o

Sorry, corrected links to pics

www.dropbox.com/s/pukea0jl888yswm/IMG_0267.jpg
www.dropbox.com/s/0sy1814q3l994d7/IMG_0268.jpg

o

Break them off....it's easier done now. The new growth right now is attached very weakly to the tree. Simply by bending it down and away from the tree, the new growth will break away.

o

I agree with smivies, break them off as soon as possible

o

what are you guys talking about..

PRUNE THEM OFF.. with hand pruners.. crimminey ...

but that kind of multiple advantageous shoots.. usually means something is wrong up beyond that point ...

i wish you would learn to put the pix right in the post... to make it easier for me.. because.. it really is.. all about me.. lol ...

ken

o

Jam, you pruned off lots of foliage-bearing branches, and now the tree is responding by making new foliage-bearing branches. You're fighting a losing battle in trying to make a Norway maple into a tree that casts light shade.

Where those suckers grow straight up through the crown, cut them off. If you can, leave some though, the ones that are better-positioned. Otherwise, the tree will.......you get the idea. You can't take a bunch of the crown away from a tree without that tree reacting. And the way in which it reacts is by trying to undo what you have done. IT's completely normal.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here