Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Species?

Posted by kevinbauman80 IN (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 16:37

Hi, I am new to this forum and I was hoping that someone could tell me what kind of tree this is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Species?

Looks like some kind of maple but I think we need a close up of the leafs to be sure

o

I can not see well enough resolution either. Something tells me Sugar maple. But who knows. Not silver, wrong bark. A leaf closeup would be great.

How long have you been around the tree? what type of fall colors? Does it have its samaras now?

Also, in my quest to read tree bark, am I just seeing shadows wrong or is there a decades old wound up there? I stare at that stuff, it probabky does not matter in any way.

Thanks and welcome aboard.

o

Here is a close up of the leaves.

o

Liriodendron tulipifera I believe.

That has to be it.

A different one of my favorite trees. Leave them low branches on so you can see the flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to hort uconn

o

I am having seedlings pop up all over my yard is these a common tree for spreading seedlings

o

Oh, yeah, it's easy to share the wealth with a tulip poplar. The one in my yard - now about 18 feet tall - was a volunteer seedling. I'm not complaining! But they do pop up everywhere.

o

They don't all make it and they're easy to pull up.

o

One more question. What causes the tree to go hollow inside and is it still safe. I just dont want it falling into the house. I have attached a photo.

o

Ouch! Some wound let water in and poof, untreated wood rots like on your deck. Was that an open wound up about 2/3 of the way in your first pick? Could be a lower wound also from a mower or somethig.

Is it safe....have an arborist come take a peek. I get spooked easily in residential settings sometimes trees stand for decades if not longer like that.

How far away is your house or classic car?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 18, 13 at 14:25

Based on what I see in both views this would definitely be taken down if it were on my place. You can have a tulip tree break apart anyway, and this one is a mess.

o

i am going to guess lightening...I have an english walnut with a similar looking scar...it healed though...took a few years until the crack filled in.
I would just cut it down and replace it with something else....come back and ask for suggestions when you do.

o

I would let it be, it will take dozens of years before any new tree will be that large and impressive.

o

it will make some very nice mulch.. and firewood ...

get rid of it ASAP

ken

o

Just to debate...

It looks like an old wound which the tree is encapsulating pretty well.

Looks like a regular residential lot though.

Up on the hill away from the house my kid is always in and away from my Mustang's garage I am more tolerant with trees than near the structures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here