Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogwood- damaged bark when planting

Posted by jdog13131 PA (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 16:53

Hi all,

Well, as you can see by the picture I damaged the bark on a 10 foot dogwood that I picked up this afternoon. I have already read nine million articles and I am now more confused than when I started. I want to know if this tree will survive and if there is something I need to do? FYI- the tree slipped when taking it out of the truck and rubbed against the bed. I trimmed the rough edges and cleaned with soap and water. Thanks in advance for your help. Much appreciated!!!

This post was edited by jdog13131 on Sun, May 5, 13 at 16:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogwood- damaged bark when planting

Looks like it should recover, all things considered. There are those that would tell you to trim the scuff into a canoe shape from top to bottom (plz., not recommending this) for best healing, but looks like you already have close enough, a speedboat shape! Might heal even quicker! Seriously, the wound should heal. DO NOT apply anything called "wound dressing."
hortster

o

Ditto.

I think your planting height looks decent also. I see a bark difference I will take as a graft line.

What did ya get exactly?

o

Hi guys, thanks for the quick follow up. really appreciate it. this is my first time so you can imagine how disappointed I was when it happened. tornado, not quite sure what you are asking. tree was a cornus aurora...

Do you know how long it typically takes to heal over? should I anticipate any adverse effects as it heals? just curious. take care

FYI- attached a closer pic if that helps...

o

It looks much worse (to you) than it is. The tree will cover this wound over in no time, and you'll eventually forget it even happened.

o

I just used google to find the cultivar I postef the link to.

It is a special variety if dogwood which they clone for its superior characteristics. Plant fellas have been doing this for hundreds of years.

As far as how long to seal up? I dunno. I will take 3 years if we are betting until we can barely tell it was there. It just is nit that deep looking or worse to my amature eye than an average pruning cut.

Here is a link that might be useful: monrovia info

o

good stuff. thanks all.

o

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It may take 2-3 years to heal over, but you should begin to see callus tissue beginning to form this year. Hortster is right, don't paint anything over it - just leave it alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here