Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is My Big Alder Dying

Posted by martinca none (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 17:10

I would not have planted them, but they shaded an area of our backyard beautifully, with the huge added bonus of privacy. I'll be glad to lose the one (crammed in) on the right, but hate the loss of the big one on left.
I've read conflicting reports on alders life span...one reported as little as 25 -30 years...about the age of these. We are in zone 10,, coastal, between San Diego and Los Angeles. In middle May it should be fully leafed out. Lots of dead branches. Opinions please.
TIA
I have ipad photo issues. Forgive if upside down, please

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is My Big Alder pic 2

Another, not much better.

o
RE: Is My Big Alder Dying

There are not a lot of alders around here, but my understanding is that they are a pioneer species and don't live long. I am actually surprised yours are growing that far south. I thought native alders crap out around zone 6 or 7. Is yours exotic?

o

Exotic...ha! Planted here in abundance by home builders as they grow so quickly. Not so much any more.
Taking them down and planting a mature replacment will be$$$ yikes! I could ask an arborist, but hate spending money on a lost cause, as I suspect these are. Oh woe is me.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 14, 14 at 11:05

The native California Alder Alnus rhombifolia is found in wet places. Is that the one you have? They expect a lot of water--are not drought tolerant. Could be the drought. The roots are pretty aggressive so I got rid of mine, and don't miss them.

Here is a link that might be useful: comments on A. rhombibolia

o

Hi hb,
Since I didn't plant them some thirty years ago, I don't know the species, but would guess it is the rombibolia, though hard to think it's native in our dry area. Still, very popular with builders awhile back. So much so, that it's inique aroma was a nostalgic "California scent" to me after we left the state and returned a few years later. We held many a birthday party " under the spreading Alders" :) No longer lovely , but dread the expense of taking them down and finding another tree. Too difficult to judge by the pic, but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks. :) marti

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here