Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak wilt

Posted by treetoronto 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 17:33

Hello, how severe is oak wilt? Will it be considered a devastation to the oak family like the emerald ash borers are to ash trees and the Dutch elm disease is to the elms?

I want to plant an oak, but worry that oak wilt will kill it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak wilt

then dont plant something from the red oak family ...

are you in canada???

ken

o

Yes canada, specifically Toronto

o

I could be wrong, but I don't think oak wilt is in Toronto.

o

If oak wilt is not currently present in your area and the tree you'll be planting is relatively isolated from other oaks, then I'd go with an oak, even something in the red oak group if that's what your heart desires. However, Ken is correct about red oaks being more susceptible to wilt than the white oaks.

EAB is spread by an insect, while oak wilt is a fungus that is often spread from one tree to another via root grafts. However, even soil type and terrain can impact spread of wilt, with light soils and flat or gently rolling terrain being more condusive to underground spread of wilt via root grafts.

I live in an area with sandy soil, and oak wilt has diminished the native Q. ellipsoidalis population, which is the most common oak in my neck of the woods. I've got several large Northern Pin Oaks that have died from wilt over the years and it is all very sad. It wouldn't make sense for me to plant a red oak, but it MAY be perfectly OK for you to do so.

o

Thanks! Nope it isn't in Canada. But we made the mistake of planting a Green Ash in 2002, it is now dying. Don't want to repeat the same mistake as planting another tree that will die because we didn't take the threat seriously!!

Oak trees are not very common in Toronto like the Ash, Honey Locust and Norway Maple are!

The only oaks in its vicinity would be a Pin Oak planted in the park about 150 feet away and red oak planted in a neigbours yard, about 175 feet away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here