Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crape Myrtles

Posted by gardenapprentice Tennessee (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 17:40

I was wondering, how the crape myrtle seeds look. When the seed pods open is it too late. Are the seeds little seeds or are they the one that appear when the seed pods open, I want to grow them next year and need advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crape Myrtles

too late for what..

you cant get the seed until it opens.. dont you think??

while you are at the link.. change the search to PROPAGATION OF CRAPE MYRTLE SEED ... and you should be on your way ...

and while you are there.. you might want to find out if they can be rooted from cuttings ..... should you wish to propagate specific flowers. rather than relying on seed ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Gardenapprentice,

I second Ken's advice about looking into growing crapes from cuttings. Crape myrtles are easy to propagate from cuttings, and cuttings will provide superior specimens that are genetically identical to the parent plant.

If you are wanting to grow things from seed, that's cool, but I'd choose something else for that, personally (unless, of course, you want to try to develop a new crape myrtle cultivar).

o

The seed pods need to ripen on the plant, and then they will crack open naturally and spill their seeds. You'll need to be observant to catch the pods before those little seeds disperse all over the place. The pods ripen in the fall.

I forget how many seeds each pod contains, but it is many. They germinate readily and the seedlings grow pretty rapidly. Don't expect seedlings to be duplicates of the parent plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here