Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a 4 year old Kanzan Cherry be transplanted?

Posted by suel41452 z6b-7aVA (My Page) on
Sun, May 17, 09 at 17:42

I stupidly planted too many trees too close together, and the Kanzan Cherry has to go. It is growing at a truly alarming rate! What are the odds of successfully transplanting it this fall to my daughter's home nearby? I doubt we'll be able to manage getting a huge rootball. The tree is about 10 feet high. I was wondering if they are pretty tough plants that could handle anything, like, say, a Rose of Sharon?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a 4 year old Kanzan Cherry be transplanted?

What are the odds of successfully transplanting it this fall to my daughter's home nearby?

50:50 IMHO.

Dan

o

Would it help to prune back all the branches?

o

Cherries don't respond well to pruning, that wouldn't work.

Resin

o

Thanx for the info! I wonder if taking a spade now and cutting through the roots some distance from the trunk all around would be helpful?

o

Maybe. Maybe not.

Dan

o
RE: 4 year old Kanzan Cherry be transplanted?

Well, since this tree is growing like gangbusters despite 3 yrs. of extreme drought that killed 4 of our well-established trees & shrubs, including drought-resistant crepe myrtles, I'm thinking this tree must be plenty tough! I'll give it a shot - it only cost $10 anyway. Thanx for the advice. Sue

o

I wouldn't say that those cherries are terribly hard to transplant. You don't need an especially large root ball for them and they dig ok. Do it once it has gone dormant in the winter and you should be ok. A 10' tree can be done easily with shovels. When you say 4 year old, is that since it was planted or since it was propogated because a 4 year old tree would still be a very manageable size. 10' perhaps but a thin stem. A cherry tree that age sells in my area for under $50 so it's worth a shot but if it doesn't survive then it's not like you're out vast sums of $.

o

The age was a "guess-timate". The tree was planted 3 falls ago. The lower trunk is 4 1/2 inch diameter. Around 1 1/2 foot from the bottom it all branches out so that biggest limb is 2" diameter. Got it at a big box store super cheap, so like you said no big financial loss. I do hate to kill a plant, though, even an unwanted one!!
Went to Hilton Head a few summers back and got all inspired by their "a tree every few feet" philosophy. Well, that's an exaggeration but not much of one. Never saw so many trees near the beach in my life, probably more than when the indians lived there LOL!! Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here