Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gigantic Black Walnut

Posted by greenthumbzdude 6 PA (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 17:55

I just wanted to share this photo of a gigantic black walnut. I could not find any background info on this photo like when it was taken or where. I would imagine that the tree is close to 7 feet diameter if not more. This tree may have been part of the original forest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gigantic Black Walnut

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 12, 14 at 21:39

Seems likely.

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 8:55

Here's a big one in PA just north of the MD/PA border. It's actually a black/english walnut hybrid.

o

that one must have hybrid vigor

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 11:09

I just knocked on the door & talked to the owner. He told me about it (he was proud of it), and had planted numerous nuts from it around his house. Here's a closeup of the trunk:

o

That's a pretty spreading crown for a walnut, isn't it?

o

This one is a homestead remnant in Kingston, Ontario. It is on Ontario's honor roll as the largest Black Walnut in the province. It's 6' in diameter and 90' tall.

Unfortunately, the exclusion zone during big box store construction 10+ years ago was too small and soil compaction is causing a long and slow decline.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ontario's Honour Roll of Trees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here