Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom6545

Aborvitae Problem or Not?

Tom6545
10 years ago

I have two arborvitae (exact species I don't know, they were in the landscaping when we bought the house 2 years ago). Today, I noticed some brown branches scattered about on the trees. Is this something natural that occurs from time to time, or is there something else I should be concerned with?

The drainage of the soil is excellent, so I know moisture is not an issue, and we have had ample rain in our spring weather.

Comments (8)

• hortster
    10 years ago

It might be kabatina tip blight. Is there a gray lesion or gray ring on the stem between the dead tan area and green stem?
    hortster

• Tom6545
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't been able to get back out there and check, but I will do so. I did see one video put out by a nursery that says it is not uncommon for evergreens to lose up to 1/3 of their needles, so I'm not really sure what to believe at this point.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

not uncommon for evergreens to lose up to 1/3 of their needles

All evergreen plants do lose old foliage and in varying degrees and at varying rates. But there is a big difference between the normal shedding of old foliage and the premature die off of branches or branch tips.

I'm not at all sure that these are what's usually referred to as 'arborvitae' - Thuja species. They do look much more like a juniper and both Kabatina and Phomopsis tip blight can affect any number of species of junipers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Juniper tip blight

• debcoo2229
    10 years ago

I posted this recently on the tree forum here but got no response. Sounds like one of you might know the answer. I have had arborvitae growing for years as a privacy screen. This past year, they have begun to die. As you can see the two at the far left have died and a third one is starting to die. The two dead ones began with small brown patches like the third one to right.
    Is this a blight?
    Can this be treated?

We are planning to remove the three this week.

Do any of you know what this is? We have had bagworms in the past and sprayed for them but I see no bugs, etc. on trees.

Please help me save them!!!!!!!!
    I appreciate any help you can give me. I love my trees!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

debco. .. i answered your post ... those ARE ARBs.. and they are dead ... probably last years drought or heat waye.. there i nothing to save them ....

====

first off... tom.. its not an arb.. its a juniper.. hence the talk about juniper tip blight ...

INTERIOR shedding is normal.. and that is the 1/3 lost any given year ...

yours is NOT interior ... you have tip blight.. which kills sections of the .. wait for it.. tips ... lol ...

i have gotten rid of about a dozen juniper over the years .... they arent worth the effort..

i spent a few years.. just cutting out the dead. .until i didnt appreciate them anymore... lol ... and if you do such.. cleanse your cutters between plants ....

a pic of the whole ... might get you some other opinions...

ken

• Tom6545
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well guys, seeing how we just bought our house and there were no tags on the plants or left behind for us to know what we had, Arborvitae was the first thing that came to mind. Excuse the faux pas.

I'll admit I'm not the expert on this stuff, but I've never seen a Juniper that looked like an arborvitae. Most of the Junipers I've seen are way shorter than that.

• debcoo2229
    10 years ago

I know these are arborvitae and I also know that the two on the left are dead. That is why we are removing them asap. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to save the one, third from left.

blight? what would I do if this was a blight?

thanks

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Upright junipers often do have that very columnar growth habit that arborvitaes display - easy to be confused if not more intimately familiar with them :-) And there are a good many different kinds of them as well, including several that get as tall as 20' or more. It is just that that sort of foliage structure and damage symptoms are so characteristic of junipers and their blight issues that it is hard to mistake, if at all familiar with the plants.