Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn blaze seed pods

Posted by Marg47 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 18:06

Will AB produce those awful copter pods in the spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn blaze seed pods

Yes, I have two of them in my backyard and those whirly pods are everywhere! The fall color is worth it though.

o

Garden hybrid discovered in 1933. named in 1969. while it does produce the samaras, the seeds are sterile, a not uncommon characteristic of interspecific hybrids

o

^^^ And that sterility of the seeds is huge. When I still had my giant silver in the yard, I'd have never complained about the tonnage of seeds it produced were it not for the fact that roughly 98% of them managed to root and grow-in every damn bed we have here. THAT is the issue, not cleaning up a few seeds in the gutters.........or getting the snow shovel out to scrape them off the driveway!

+oM

o

Thanks for that info. What would be a nice clean shade tree?

o

All trees drop something or other. I'd not personally consider the samaras from AB to be anything difficult to deal with given the fact that any rotary mower would easily chop them up.

I think honeylocust is overplanted but it might suit you. Leaves are small and as long as you have a male cultivar such as "Skyline", seed pods would not present themselves. Some business people in our downtown though manage to complain about these too. The little leaflets I mentioned do stick to shoes as customers enter the stores.

Everyone has their own tolerance to such things. In my case, I would never, ever worry about such matters.

+oM

o

"while it does produce the samaras, the seeds are sterile"

- not true. I have germinated many seeds from Autumn Blaze. The progeny are somewhat variable in habit & fall color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here