Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Can a new tree be planted within 3 to 5 ft of an old one?

I recently posted about removing a very old Arizona ash. We left the trunk for decorative purposes. Will a Lacey oak do okay if planted fairly close to the old tree if we manage to avoid any large roots and dig a big hole?

Thank you.

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the old one is dead ... if so.. it irrelevant ... EXCEPT ... that as it rots.. it might steal water ... so INSURE.. your transplant is properly watered ...

dig a hole according to the link .. and watering also

ken

ps: there is no zombie tree apocalypse to worry about

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, I sure am happy to hear there's no zombies or spirits hanging around that tree we killed. Now I can take back those sage candles we got to assuage them ... ;-)))

• scotjute Z8
    9 years ago

If you were replanting with the same species, and the old one died of disease, that could infect the new one with the same disease. Oak wilt comes to mind as an example.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

As long as the old one didn't die of a disease known to infect the new one, I would say go ahead. And in fact (sorry, Ken) I think his advice is actually contrary to reality: the dying roots of the old tree will serve as organic material, which will _retain_ water, not steal it, and to some degree, fertilizer for the new tree. (low in nitrogen, but a source of potash...which originally just came from burnt logs) I've replanted over several dead trees in my yard and I almost think the typical random plant does better next to the rotting remains of another.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sun, May 25, 14 at 15:56

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

And btw you don't even need to dig an extra big hole. Just make sure you water the new tree on an appropriate schedule...which even in Texas doesn't mean every day. Maybe every 3 days in the worst, driest summer weather. Get a feel for when its leaves start drooping a bit, and water just before that point. If you water every day it has no reason to develop new roots.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Scot, good point.

David, thanks. Sounds good. I was planning to get a Lacey oak which is native to my area and said to be oak wilt resistant, but I was told by two nurseries that none are available from their wholesalers this year. Also just read on line that it had been shown to be susceptible to oak wilt, so guess that variety is out.

First I was considering a very different tree just because I liked it's looks and don't need a dense shade tree, Palo Verde 'Desert Museum'. It was widely available last year, but now same thing -- none of the wholesalers are carrying it. Anybody know why? I'm almost tempted to wait for it IF I thought I could get it later. Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: FYI Scroll down to The Bad News ...

• Mackel-in-DFW
    9 years ago

No oaks are immune to oak wilt, Rose, but it's more common in red oaks. I know the website you are talking about, and they're sellin' somethin', right ?

So, if you ever can get aholt of one...I love the three lacey oaks that I planted, they are slow growers but probably the most beautiful tree that I have ever planted.

And a Texas A&M "Texas Superstar" for being drought/disease resistant. The ladies slow down when they're walkin' by 'em ;) . Even the ninety year old that never talks to nobody...

M

• Mackel-in-DFW
    9 years ago

I can't vouch for the place, but "Oaks of the Wild West" might have 'em to order online.

M

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mackel, thank you for your comments. You almost wax poetic when talking about Lacey oaks. :-) I might just have to keep them under consideration. I found the 'Oaks of the Wild West' site, but haven't inquired yet if they Lacey at this time.

• scotjute Z8
    9 years ago

Natives of Texas nursery south of kerrville usually carries Lacey Oak. I bought a couple of Laceys from them several yrs ago. Assume you are somewhere close to them. Don't have their ph. # but a web-search should get it if you are interested.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH