Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender88

picking a Serviceberry

lavender88
12 years ago

I would like to know if anyone has a suggestion on which serviceberry is good.

I have mostly seen Princess Diana in the nurseries around here.

I'm looking for one that has good color in the fall. We are putting it in the front yard on its own. I don't know if we are better off getting the multi stemmed or single trunk.

I have read that they can have several problems, is this common or rare?

Thanks.

Comments (18)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

I would think any Amelanchier x grandiflora (Pincess Diana is one) should do well. My x grandiflora has very good fall color. I too have heard of things like suckering or branching issues but I have not experienced any of it in the 15 years or so that I've had mine. Multi-stemmed or single trunk is a matter of taste and either have good qualities. When we beat the critters to the berries my wife makes a dynamite pie with them.

tj

• mustard_seeds
    12 years ago

We have the Amelanchier x grandiflora "Autumn Brilliance" multistemmed in a mixed shrub/perennial area of our yard with full sun. It was about 4 feet tall when we put it in 4 years ago. Now it is 5 feet tall LOL. Pretty slow growing, but that is fine for us. It got a rust in the second year but has been okay after that. It had some small suckers just this year that were simple to snip. Birds love the fruit. For a specimen tree in front yard maybe look for something a little faster growing (or maybe ours just likes to be slow) - have you seen any around your town you like? Rachel

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Main particular features of 'Princess Diana' spreading habit and red fall color, could be a nice lawn specimen.

If the lawn is big enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: United States Patent: PP06041 - Amelanchier named 'Princess Diana'

• lavender88
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information, were putting it off the corner of the house so I think we should have the room, nothing else is in that part of the front yard.
    Is 20'-25' accurate for the spread, so you would plant it at least 10'-15' from the house?
    Rachel has me wondering how fast do they usually grow?
    Thanks again.

• mustard_seeds
    12 years ago

They are supposed to be a bit faster I think. I do not know why ours is so slow, except that we do not feed it other than topdressings of compost annually and the occasional sprinkles of used coffee grounds.

• terrene
    12 years ago

I planted a 6 foot Amelanchier x lamarckii 4 years ago, which I've read is another name for Amelanchier x grandiflora, but who knows. It is about 10 feet tall now, so it has averaged 1 foot per year, a lot faster than Mustard seed's tree. It grows more upright than spreading, and has smallish leaves with an airy canopy, which is a growth habit that I like because it's in the middle of a mixed border of shrubs and perennials, and this makes fairly easy to grow perennials around the base of the tree. Mine is multi-trunked and has only suckered a little so far.

I like it a lot, but the bloom time is short and it has only made berries successfully 1/2 the years. Also mine starts losing its leaves early and get ratty, and there isn't much for fall color. If I had it to do over, I would probably choose a different cultivar, maybe go to the nursery in the fall to see how the tree performs first.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

I have had 'Robin Hill' for 10 years. It gets morning sun. I trained it to a single stem (not very well admittedly) to be more tree-like. It is about 12-15' tall now. Covered with ripening berries right now... the birds will be here soon.

I also have 'Autumn Brilliance' in a shadier location and am keeping it a multi-trunk shrub form. No berries yet. It still young. I've only had that a few years.

• lavender88
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK one more question.
    Like I said it's going in the yard I don't know if we will do the island thing or not.
    Do you need to fertilize other than what it gets from the lawn fertilizer?
    I would assume mulch under it but I've heard trees don't need extra fertilizer.

• dutchess12545
    12 years ago

I have a Cole's Select ((Amelanchier x grandiflora 'Cole�s Select') which after 10 years is about 12 ft high and 10 feet wide......multi stemmed to the ground. It gets loaded with berries and has orange red fall color. Supposedly resistant to leaf spot but certainly not immune as I have seen some some years. Very beautiful in flower.
    ................Dutchess12545

• laytonc
    10 years ago

I live in Dallas, TX and I would like to plant a serviceberry somewhat near my house. I had a little gem magnolia there before but I guess I got a bad one because one year in the ground and it died.

Anyway. I was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion for which cultivar I could put in. I will probably put in a multiple trunk tree add some interest (I already have 2 single trunk trees in the front).I liked Autumn Sunrise but I'm not sure where I could find it. Also based on the suggested cultivar, what distance from the house would it need to be planted?

Last question: if I can't find the cultivar locally are there any websites that you would suggest to purchase them? Or does anyone with a good cultivar who propagates their cuttings be willing to send me one?

• MIssyV
    9 years ago

bump ... i am shopping for a cole' select now :)

• jlsch
    9 years ago

I have in an Amelanchier x grandiflora "Autumn Brilliance" multistemmed....it has been in for about 4 years and has barely grown. I keep waiting.... It is healthy, blooms and produces berries every year. Has red leaves in the fall. It just is very, very slow to grow. I'm not sure what to do to encourage it and I was hoping it would block out some of my neighbors... it is about 5' tall.

• Alice nithya
    3 years ago

How dense is a 10 foot robin hill tree?

• Embothrium
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

None of these are particularly dense as far as it goes, are not therefore the type of thing that would ordinarily be thought of as good for screening.

• Alice nithya
    3 years ago

I need something for the birds and dense enough for some privacy as well...i already have a crabapple in my garden and i dont want to have another crabapple...i was given the option autumn brilliance, Robin hill, spring flurry, princess diana, standing ovation in the garden centre...

• Alice nithya
    3 years ago

How wide does a single stem autumn brilliance grow?

• 1happycustomer
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Serviceberry is not your answer if you are looking for a privacy screen. At all.

Like others have stated, my Autumn Brilliance grows at a turtle pace. I have great soil where most other plants thrive. I think it’s just a slow grower. But the robins are all over it when it produces fruit.

I planted Adirondack crabapples along my fenceline for screening.

. Techny arborvitaes are another option for screening and/or a fast growing privet hedge if you don’t mind the upkeep of trimming it a couple times a year when it’s established.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County