Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to grow a Japanese Maple Tree

Posted by Kelby232 6-6b PA (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 18:25

Hello,

I have big japanese maple tree in my yard with a lot of smaller japanese maples growing within it's drip line. Last year I was hoping a few of them would grow large enough for me to transplant to a different spot in my yard, but that did not happen.

So my question is, how do I go about digging some of the small babies up and take care of them so I can make sure they grow?

What I'm thinking I should do, is to dig them up and pot them inside for a year. What do you think I should do?

Here are some pictures of the babies. They are maybe 5 inches tall or so:
 photo B3C4DE51-0A74-497A-BF9C-D56766AF1DD6_zps8nhsrxuu.jpg

photo A278CFA1-6A65-439B-850E-F90651ABAD8B_zpsncqwdg2u.jpg

photo 40CFF7A1-BF43-454F-8183-2EE2ED3EC63D_zpsi0bjrtgb.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to grow a Japanese Maple Tree

you tie big bright string on them ...

and then dig them up when they are dormant in fall ...

and then either move them.. or pot them ...

since you have many ... try potting some up now ...

buy a bag of cactus media ... moisten it well ... fill a one gallon pot.. and put two in there.. and then put it in full bright shade ... for summer ...

keep it rather dry ... do not water it like annuals or perennials ... and see if you have roots growing out the bottom of the pot in fall ...

its tricky to dig up a leafed out tree.. do not be surprised if it loses all its leaves in the process ...

ken

o
RE: How to grow a Japanese Maple Tree

Thank you Ken.

I'm assuming the string is so I don't lose track of them haha. My plan for this weekend was to weed out that whole area. Hopefully I don't hit any of the baby maples.

I like the 2 prong approach you suggested. I'm going to do exactly that.

For the ones I'm leaving outside, should I leave the pine straw mulch where it is? Should I do any extra watering to them? I'm guessing I should if it's really hot or drought-like conditions.

For the two I pot, should I just pot them and put them outside directly under the tree they are growing now? Is there a certain temperature range that they will be okay outside?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here