Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small pines for NC?

Posted by cousinfloyd NC 7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 18:30

I want to plant something that will size up fairly quickly to provide year-round shade for an area. The area I'd like to plant has some morning shade but it's pretty much full sun now. What I would love would be something like 12 year old loblolly pines planted 10-12' apart in about a 6x6 square. Loblolly pines would be perfect at 12 years old, but would eventually get much bigger than I'd want. Is there any kind of pine I can plant that would max out at 20-30' tall? What about Korean nut pines? Or could I prune something like a loblolly to stay shorter? If I could, what would it look like?

I've also thought about Magnolia grandiflora. How fast growing would a grove of magnolias be? I think I'm too far west/north for live oaks. There aren't any Asian evergreen oaks I could plant, are there? There was a beautiful oak tree on the campus of NCSU that I think was evergreen. The acorn caps had concentric rings. Hollies would be nice, but I'm pretty sure I want something faster growing. Are there any evergreen edibles I could plant beside nut pines? I could compromise fast growth for something edible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small pines for NC?

Maybe you could use Virginia Pine? If you're in eastern NC I certainly recommend Longleaf Pine or Shortleaf Pine over Loblolly Pine, but they do get just as large.

o
RE: small pines for NC?

Any of those pines would certainly grow here. Longleaf isn't common, but loblolly is commonly planted, and shortleaf and Virginia pine are common volunteers. Why would you recommend any of the others over loblolly? I was thinking loblolly mainly because I thought it grew the fastest, but also because I've seen managed stands of lolbolly that look exactly like what I'd want. Looks aren't my first priority, but I mostly think of Virginia pines as terrible-looking trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here