Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lullabyf360

Anyone out there have experience with buckeyes?!?

LullabyF360
10 years ago

My place is riddled with buckeyes. However, they are all in the wooded part of the property, making it difficult to really get to them. I live in Louisiana, & (in my section of the state anyway) no one sells them. My sister in law has been wanting some & knows it is hard to grow one from seed. I told her by all means she can dig up whatever she wants from my woods. We dug up all that we could comfortably get to, which was only a few. Most where too large for us to tackle, so we hunted out the saplings, taking the higher risk of them dying from shock. The majority of the ones we collected had very large taproots. Yes, I know buckeyes are infamous for their massive taproots, but these were too large for the size of the sapling that was growing from it--it looks as though the saplings have been run over with the bushhog many many times over the years. The root was able to grow while anything above the ground was not. Our concern is: while we were digging them up, these extremely large taproots became damaged, such as the tip of the shovel skinned the tuber-like root, the tip of the root was broken off, one was even split in half. She took them all anyway. I have no hope for the one that was bifurcated, but what about the others? Being as the taproots are so large, does anyone think or KNOW that they will survive? Is there anything I can tell her to help alleviate the shock of transplanting & having the root damaged to some degree?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional