Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! 45 is our low but chance of Frost? Is that possible?

Posted by ilovemytrees 5b Western NY (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 19:04

For some stupid reason, I was flipping channels and landed on the local public Access Channel 3 which has a synthesizer that gives a robotic weather report. It said "patchy frost tonight in low laying areas". I freaked out but my husband said no he said patchy fog in low laying areas, and I said no he didn't, so we listened to it again and then my husband agreed with me.

But there is NO frost warning on any local news channel of our's. What makes this worse is I took down all the tomato cages, and set ups we had to cover these trees thinking we had reached our last frost date, and I have about an hour of light left to put them back on and cover them all over again.

How bad is a frost at 45? Can the ground really reach 32 degrees with a 45 degree air temp 6 feet higher? I almost wish I had never put on that stupid channel, but my son was laughing at and mimicking the robot voice and being funny so I left it on. Unfortunately for me I heard it give the weather....

Why is weather.com or no one else saying patchy frost? I will be livid if I don't cover these trees and I wake up to snow white grass.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! 45 is our low but chance of Frost? Is that possible?

"Low-lying areas" refers to areas like river valleys where cold air will sink, not the ground areas in an up-lying area. If the air temperature really isn't supposed to get below 45 degrees, I won't worry unless you live in an area that often gets frosts when other areas don't.

I might look at several online weather prediction services (like wunderground.com, weather.com, etc) to decide. My guess would be that the robotic voice doesn't enunciate too well and it was supposed to be saying fog.

o

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/BUF/ZFPBUF

It does say patchy frost in some areas... but also has lows forecast in the mid to upper 30s in those same places.

o

Update:

We just got inside from covering all our trees, except for our 6 foot tree, which is too tall to cover but still needs protection because its leaves came out this week, so what we did was this:

We put a fence pole on one side of the tree and hung our hose over it, facing the shower head to the sky and turned it on so that there is a gentle shower going over the tree all night over it, to protect it from frost. It would be no different if it rained all night gently.

o
One last thing

We just turned the hose off and we will be turning it on at midnight, since frost doesn't start at 9pm. We will only be running it for 6 hours or so.

o
nhbabs

nhbabs

Hi! We are very prone to getting frost. Our yard gets so much frost for some reason. We live in a valley rural area. :)

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 5, 12 at 23:21

What species are you covering up? At this point I wouldn't even bother covering up JMs.

o

Good morning, Whaas.

Hornbeams: European, American. Also, 4 Golden Raintrees.

And of course.....there was NO frost. lol

o

Can the ground really reach 32 degrees with a 45 degree air temp 6 feet higher?

==>>

i dont think frost has anything to do with ground temp ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here