Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Healthy tree?

Posted by zaggen10 none (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 19:33

My red maple looks well in terms of leaf cover at the moment, but I am told it has issues that could be problems in future. The main trunk divides into two about 3 ft off the ground and there is a crack going down from this. One trunk crosses over with a main branch further up. This tree does not appear to have ever been pruned and it is now quite large. It also has a root damaged during some construction work.
This all matters as we are having a new driveway and entrance, and keeping the tree will involve a big workaround - I need to be sure it is worth saving!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Healthy tree?

Unfortunately, that looks about as bad as it gets. It is only a matter of time before it splits in two.I would not spend any extra money trying to work around it. It is a shame that someone didn't spend a few minutes pruning it when it was young.

o

Many thanks for your prompt response. I am sorry about that as it looks beautiful at the moment and it will be missed. The second image shows the extent of the crack so far which is not much but if it will only get worse then will replace with one nearby. Thanks again.

o

get rid of it.;.. negotiate the driveway job.. and seal the deal with having them remove it.. and INSURE the soil is correctly compacted for the driveway above ... if over such hole ...

dont feel sorry about it.. trees die.. life goes on ...

plant something better.. once the driveway is in ...

BTW... the driveway job itself.. will kill the tree.. but in tree years... one could probably predict with some certainty.. that it would die within 3 to 5 years.. due to the construction... so why work around it.. and then pay a tree guy to remove it in 5 years...

ken

o

Yeah...that's bad even for a red maple. That's something a *silver* maple is more likely to do.

You could cut the smaller crossing branch off but would still have the narrow crotch angle to deal with.

Ten years ago, maybe even five years ago, you could have corrected it...(I realize that does you no good now!)

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 11:00

Well, it might last some decades like that -- or not. As you can see, it has swollen in the transverse direction of a potential split, so that wood-reinforcement helps resist a split.

That "crossing" branch above is actually helping to push the twin-leaders apart, so removing it would be a good idea.

Whatever you decide, it wouldn't hurt to plant a replacement nearby right now.

o

Thanks very much for your comments - so appreciated. Shall try and move on to a new tree and try not to miss this one too much :(.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here