Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mythumbsnotgreen

I Need Help Identifying a Tree

MyThumbsNotGreen
10 years ago

Hi, I am new here so I am not sure if this is where I am supposed to post this. I also apologize in advance for the lengthy post...

I recently acquired a "bonsai" from a local home improvement store...I hang my head in shame that that is all the tag said...I would list the company it came from but since you all are into plants you probably already can take a guess at who it is. lol

I know I shouldn't have bought it seeing as how I know nothing about plants. Well I actually have a couple trees I have bought to learn on, but I know what the rest are and am in the process of caring for them and so far to my surprise they are doing good.
The price was right ($10) and I know that it was sure to die if it stayed there (seeing as that is the fate of all the plants at that store...), so I figured I couldn't go wrong. After seeing it slowly deteriorate after a couple weeks of walking by I decided I could grab it and hopefully breathe a little life into it. I have so far removed all the stupid rocks and moss from the top and watered it and to my surprise it started pushing out new growth.

Here is my problem, I don't know what in the world it is. It was just labeled as a "bonsai" with no heads up about what the specific care needs of the plant are. It has been nice here for a few days so I put it outside during the days when it gets above 60 so it could get some good sunshine, but it appears to like it in shaded areas better. In the sun the leafs really dry out and a couple have died as you might see in one of my pics, but when it is inside the leafs wilt a little, so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place as to where to keep it.

Here are some pictures of the tree, the leafs, and a close up of the bark. The tree as I have it is about 7-8 inches tall and the trunk is about a 1.5 inches in diameter right now possibly 1.75 inches at the base, so I assume it is either a older tree (5+ years) or a massive cutting considering the nasty hack mark at the very top.

Enough talk, here are the pics:

{{gwi:362949}}
{{gwi:362950}}
{{gwi:362951}}
{{gwi:362952}}
{{gwi:362953}}
{{gwi:362954}}

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me get it identified so I can get it to optimal health. Thanks in advance for any help. If more pictures are needed I will take more.

Once again I apologize if this is the wrong area to post this.

Ryan

This post was edited by MyThumbsNotGreen on Tue, May 7, 13 at 19:51

Comments (8)

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

I'm no expert, but that kinda looks like a fig tree to me. Google Fig Bonsai and see if it looks the same

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i dont know..

but do NOT ever leave that black pot in the sun ...

and it looks very wet.. for a tree in a pot ... learn.. real fast.. about proper watering of trees in pots ...

ken

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

It does look like a Ficus. Since they are sold as houseplants, in zones where it freezes they need to be kept inside in the winter. They actually make a decent plant for a few years. The biggest problem is that to enjoy them, you put them out for the summer. When you bring them in, most of the leaves fall off. Ditto the reverse trip in the summer.

So, you think leaving them in all the time is better? Watch out for scale, and they need pretty good light or else you get a spindly 1/2 naked tree. Of course, you can always keep it bonsai. Getting the watering right is one of the important things to learn, but since you already have it, you can practice on this one.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Fig I'm not seeing at all. Go to a place that has labeled house plants and see if you can find out there.

• jeff_al
    10 years ago

maybe euonymus (fortunei?)

• MyThumbsNotGreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for not getting back promptly I have been busy with work. It does somewhat resemble a ficus, but it definitely isn't a ficus I have seen in stores before if it is one. Do you think it would be okay to treat it as if it were a ficus? In other words do you think the care for a ficus and this tree should be similar?

@ken_adrian don't worry lol I guess I typed wrong when I said that I said I put it out in the sun, it wasn't in direct sunlight more like a shaded porch in the evening. I am hoping to eventually re-pot it into something better, because I know the soil it is in know is pretty much garbage. It retains way to much water.

My intention for it is to keep it as a bonsai, but it has a long way to go before it begins to look like one.

As for watering a potted tree, what is the proper way to water it? Are you implying that I over watered it?

As I have said before and my name implies I don't know anything about plants...but I am more than willing to learn. I had some junipers which I was hoping to get to learn on but they all died and I felt terrible. At least I didn't make the mistake of trying to keep them indoors, they were fine in fall and must be the winter was too cold, that or the cuttings when I got them didn't get a chance to get a good root before winter came.

I would like to be able to keep my trees alive and healthy and so far my track record isn't going to well...

So now I have this unknown tree, a Golden Gate Ficus, and a Jacqueline Hillier Elm. Along with two little Elm seedlings (not sure what type though the package just said "Miniature Elm") which I started two years ago and they are still growing really good!

This post was edited by MyThumbsNotGreen on Fri, May 10, 13 at 21:58

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

trees like a sip of water.. and near drying in between ...

they are not to be watered like annuals.. or perennials.. nor water plants ...

and bonsai is a world unto itself.. i would highly recommend that you google your brains out on that ...

i have 35 years of fooling around in the garden... i will yell... I DO NOT MESS WITH BONSAI .... they are just to foo foo for me ...

and to think that you are STARTING with bonsai ... just makes me shake my head ...

not of course.. that you cant do it .... but there are easier ways to learn ..

i wish you luck ... and dont give up.. if you fail with bonsai .... because there are much easier ways to learn ...

ken

• MyThumbsNotGreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, well I will definitely begin watering like that. Thanks.

Yeah, I know there is ALOT to learn with bonsai, but I am a pretty patient person so I think will enjoy it. I am more of a person who enjoys the journey rather than the destination. I know that a plant especially a tree doesn't stop growing until it dies so I will constantly be on that journey. ;)

I already have read a couple books and found some really good sites chock full with information about bonsai. I am so glad I live in the age of the internet...I couldn't imagine only having books at my local library to learn from.