Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my Birch a goner?

Posted by kitchenkelly MN Zone 4 (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 19:39

I am so bummed about this Heritage Birch. I thought it was a little slow to leaf out and now it looks like it stopped. I planted it four years ago and it has always looked so healthy until now. Any chance it will come back?

Here is a shot of the healthy looking bottom:
Photobucket

Here is part of the upper:
Photobucket

More upper:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my Birch a goner?

It looks weak but not necessarily a goner. FWIW, and you probably know this already, birch are fairly slow to leaf out. But yeah, that top looks dead.

+oM

o

has there been a frost/freeze since leaves started??

ken

o

Thanks for responding Ken and +oM,

I am in the Twin Cities and there were a few frosts/freezes this Spring but all my other perenials, shrubs, trees, and conifers made it.

+oM, You say it isn't a goner, but if I remove the dead part I would be "topping the tree." Wouldn't I suffer from extreme GW Tree Forum karma for the rest of my gardening life? (Not sure I want to risk that.)

o

Hehe, no, not in this case. ;^)

You do what you gotta do, and removing dead plant parts is always okay. Give it a bit more time though. I don't think that part is going to leaf out, but there's no harm in waiting another couple of weeks.

+oM

o

It will be OK..just cut off the top, not now, sap still pushing.

o

OK. I will wait until the beginning of June to make a decision and see if there is any progress. Yesterday, I did cut off part of a branch and gave it the scratch test. It wasn't really green but it wasn't totally brittle and dead.

Back to cutting the top off (down the road if necessary.) This tree can't develop another central leader, can it? Won't my tall, dark and handsome birch turn squatty and wide? Or is that more of a conifer issue?

Thanks again for all the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here