Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning a Pitiful Dogwood

Posted by mrsbrigham none (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 19:39

Hey green thumbers !!

With the great help of Name That Plant forum peeps, I have confirmed what I have on our property is a Dogwood with lots of potential!

What I thought was the sprouting of some new tree, turned out to have these gorgeous 2.5 inch wide flowers. WOW!!! I was surprised considering this (somewhat unattractive) tree almost got chopped down.

Patience, grasshopper.

This tree is very twiggy and begging for a makeover. Does anyone have recommendations on how to bring this beautiful dogwood back to her rightful state?

Thanks for your help!!

Jessica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning a Pitiful Dogwood

Close-up of the pretty flowers!!

o

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, it looks like a healthy young dogwood and should probably be left alone to grow and fill out on its own. Young specimens often look lopsided or lanky, and dogwoods appear to resent pruning. If you can live with it, try to limit your pruning to only the 3-D method (dead, damaged or diseased wood).

o

I agree - give it a few years and it'll look just fine, IMHO.

o

This tree is very twiggy and begging for a makeover.

==>>> what is the latin name ...

you might be confusing a native dogwood... with its cousins ... the more foo ones.. pruned to within an inch of their lives by some wholesale grower ...

i agree it appears to be doing just fine the way it is ... i dont know why you would spend a lifetime of forcing it into a form that s not natural to it ...

though hard to tell on these pix.. i might lift the canopy from the ground... depending whether you need the space under .. though it appears you have plenty of room ... and wont be needing to mow under it.. or garden under it.. and if so.. why even bother doing that???

more thoughts on your goals.. other than your need to prune ... once you can state your goals... then how to do it.. becomes rather easy ...

ken

o

All great info! Thanks so much everyone!

Ken �" my best guess is the tree is a native Flowering dogwood (Cornus florida). Initially I inquired to another forum about the variety before I made any choices on pruning. I didn't realize this is what a young, healthy dogwood looked like, so I'm going to let nature run its course and see what comes of her! I was mainly curious to know if I pruned her any particular way, if it would encourage more growth, etc. Thanks for your detailed reply!

Jessica

This post was edited by mrsbrigham on Wed, May 14, 14 at 7:46

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here