Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Saplings

Posted by Pittsbirder Pa. (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 19:46

In early Dec. I was given 10 different saplings (dry root) from a friend who received them from the Arbor Day Foundation. Since it was too cold to plant outside, I planted them around the perimeter of a 10" pot where they've done very well, but only 7 survived. They have grown some, and are full of foliage. My question is how can I transplant them outside, now that the weather is warmer, without causing stress or death by disturbing the roots. I'm certain they are tangled among each other.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Saplings

Put the whole pot in a bucket of water. Gently remove the pot. Then slowly and gently tease the plant roots apart. Repot or plant right away. Lift the plant out only when the receiving hole/pot is ready. Do not leave trees and roots laying out in the air to dry out. It will be a major setback and you could lose it on a hot, sunny day. Also do not leave them soaking in water more than a few hours. Good luck! What fun, all those new trees. (I also purchased 10 for $10 back in 2001 I think?)

Carol in Jacksonville

o
RE: Potted Saplings

Probably do it sooner rather than later. The heat of summer is approaching.

Here are two of my arborday trees from a decade back and an Ilex something or other Holly that I am thinking is firewood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here