Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dominos123

Hakuro Nishiki Willow - root system

domino123
10 years ago

Was reading the comments on Daves Garden. I actually have this tree already, going on the third year. Love it.

Want to plant another, but someone posted that it should not be planted within 75-100 feet of a septic system. We don't have septic, but we do have a holding tank.

What is the professional opinion in terms of the root system on this tree? Should I be wary of planting it within 15 feet of a holding tank?

Comments (5)

• rogerzone6
    10 years ago

We have one, so speaking from personal experience only, it being grafted is much smaller than its cousin. The tank being probably concrete should be impervious to the roots unless there are cracks. Even so, 15 ft should not be a problem on this tree. I would not plant anything that will get regular tree size.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would suspect.. they were talking about the 50 to 100 foot willow..

rather than this little thing.. which i would call a shrub.. long before i would call it a tree ...

the issue would be the access point to your holding tank .... no plants have access to cement drills.. and go thru an otherwise intact sidewall ...

so if your tank top is secure.. then i dont see where a tree will invade it ...

but i would still stay 10 to 15 feet away ...

there are plenty of large perennials.. that could go closer... that lack the root mass.. to be a problem ...

BTW .. willow roots rather freely ... if you were to take six .. 6 to 8 inch cuttings... and stick them in some good media.. and put it in full shade.. no sun ... and keep it damp thru summer.. not sodden.. just damp.. and being willow.. you will probably have 7 footlings by fall ... dont ask me how.. lol ...

just an issue of instant gratification .. as to size ...

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Exactly! This is not a tree - it is a shrub willow grafted to another willow rootstock. But even the understock is rather docile compared to larger growing willows and is unlikely to become problematic with septic systems, leach fields, inground plumbing or ponds or pools.

• domino123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for feedback. I will plant another one. Beautiful ornamental tree, BTW.

• rogerzone6
    10 years ago

New growth is spectacular. Give it a hard pruning early every spring (March works best around here)